A wintry midweek night in Huddersfield, a thin scattering of Addicks in the away end. Suddenly Lee Bowyer, then at Leeds, appears in the row in front of me. As he says in an interview with Richard Cawley, ‘I’m an ordinary sort of guy.’ (As I recall, we won).
The first of this fascinating two-part interview covers his
career as a player, the second part will look at his time managing at
Charlton. As a taster, I am reproducing
his remarks on playing at the rust bucket.
Bowyer was sent off at The Den – Kim Grant scored twice
to secure maximum points - against Millwall. Bowyer produced an acrobatic
finish in the return fixture, in March 1996, as Charlton once again prevailed
2-0. It is the last time Charlton have vanquished the Lions.
So did he feel intimidated playing at the Lions’ home
ground? [aka 'The Rust Bucket'] “I was fearless,” said Bowyer. “The Den never fazed me. My red card was
down to my inexperience and being naive. I got sent off for two bookable
offences and I never touched either player.
“I went to make a tackle, Alex Rae laid the ball off, jumped
in the air and I got booked. If I had been further along in my career then I
would never have made that mistake - I wouldn’t even have tried to make the
second tackle (on Ricky Newman).
“It was a good goal at The Valley. Almost an overhead kick -
with my left foot. I don’t even know how I did it, but it went in. The most
important thing was that we beat them.
“It’s madness we haven’t done it again. That still hurts me now, because I’ve been
manager (at Charlton). Both times we lost against them by one goal. I remember
the home game during Covid. We started the better side, had some half-chances
before the match evened itself out. Late on their centre-half Jake Cooper
smashed in after a ricochet. I was thinking: ‘Wow, you don’t deserve that’.
That’s football though - it is the way it goes.”
On other matters, thanks to Charlton scourge Lord Young of
Acton (‘Tobes’) reaching out and offering to host me at a home game at Loftus Road. Thanks, but no thanks. But I regard our little feud as being
over. He is an authentic football fan,
even if he has the misfortune to support QPR.
No comments:
Post a Comment