Saturday, 13 August 2011

Charlton top table with away win

Charlton started with an unchanged side against Notts County today reports Erith Addick Paul May from Meadow Lane. Scott Wagstaff deservedly retained his place with Danny Green joined by Jason Euell on the bench.

Charlton started brightly. Hollands was the object of an early foul with the Magpies determined to get their retaliation in early. County were able to clear from the free kick. Good play by Hayes won a corner for the Addicks. Jackson’s corner was cleared by Hughes and the move ended in a goal kick for the home side.

A free kick was awarded against Morrison on the edge of the box on seven minutes. It was a good free kick but the Addicks handled it well and it was cleared. A Jackson free kick was unproductive. Wagstaff was caught in the face by a ball at point blank range. He came back on with cotton wool in his nose.

The green shirted Elliot came quickly off his line and acted as a sweeper, anticipating the situation well. The Addickted were vocal while the home fans seemed quite subdued. Elliot punched out a long throw from Edwards.

With twenty minutes gone neither side had had a real chance but then Jackson headed the ball off the line to deal with a volley. Wagstaff was pushed but the referee, who had not followed the advice of the hoardings round the ground to visit Vision Express, saw nothing.

Good play by Stephens and Wagstaff gave Jackson an opportunity and he put the ball in the net but was ruled to be offside. Bishop put in a speculative effort that went wide. A shot from Hayes was saved well by the keeper.

Hollands won the ball well in midfield with a good tackle and turned provider for Wagstaff who rounded the keeper and scored from a tight angle to put the Addicks ahead on 35 minutes. The game then went a bit quiet.

Wright-Phillips advanced down the right and turned provider with a slide rule pass for Hayes who made no mistake tapping the ball in on the far post to make it 2-0 to the Addicks just before half time.

Half time: Magpies 0, Addicks 2

County made two substitutions at half time, taking off Bencherif who had been quite effective in defence. Whether they were going to abandon their 4-1-3-2 formation was initially unclear. Lee Hughes came on, possibly posing more of a challenge to Morrison.

Hayes threatened early on and then Stephens put in an excellent ball and Jackson was there but the offside flag went up. Bishop clattered into the back of Wagstaff and the free kick was awarded. Bishop then fouled Stephens and another free kick was awarded, but Jackson’s effort went well over. Bishop conceded another free kick.

Sheehan headed back to his keeper and Nelson had to scramble across to prevent an own goal. Solly provided some great defending at the expense of a corner, without Solly’s intervention Hawley would have been in for a tap in. Sheehan put a great ball in and the substitute Montano made no mistake in finding the back of net to make it 1-2. The defending was a bit slack as Charlton conceded their first goal of the season.

Hayes turned provider for Wright-Phillips but his effort went over the bar. It all kicked off in midfield after Charlton were given a free kick. Elliot told Wagstaff to calm down. Westcarr put in a shot as County revived.

Hayes put in a clever ball for Wright-Phillips, but the keeper was able to gather. A shot by the Magpies from distance was only just wide. Hayes put in a shot from 35 yards that wasn’t far wide. A bad challenge was made on Jackson by Ravenhill who received the first yellow card of the game. Wright-Phillips was manhandled but the free kick was given against him.

A free kick by Stephens from 30 yards out was too close to the keeper. Demontagnac (whose first name was on his shirt) came on and the full back Kelly came off suggesting that County were going to intensify their attack.

Taylor dealt well with a long throw from Edwards. Wright-Phillips played in Hayes but the offside flag was raised. Taylor and Montano had a clash of heads. A free kick was awarded against the combative Hollands who had had a good game. The offside flag was raised against County to the distress of the home fans.

Wiggins got a yellow card for kicking the ball away after a disputed throw in. Lee Hughes put the ball down for the goal kick and Elliot put it elsewhere. Jason Euell came on to replace Paul Hayes who had played well but was possibly tiring. Euell was warmly greeted by the 818 Addickted at the game.

Morrison stopped Westcarr putting in a shot with a fierce but fair tackle. Stephens dealt with a long throw by Edwards. Elliot came off his line well to deal with the ball. Montano started a move with a push which was ignored and won a corner. A poor shot went in from distance. Doherty came on.

Charm merchant Lee Hughes went down in the box in an exhibition of cheating. Edwards had another long throw opportunity but Doherty defended it bravely and the goal kick was awarded as manager Allen went beserk again.

Four minutes were added on. Doherty won the ball in the air. Westcarr put in a shot which was gathered by Elliot. Former County player Andy Hughes came on for his Charlton debut to replace Wagstaff. Euell tried to hold the ball up in the corner but the free kick went against him which was taken by the keeper in a much more advanced position. Sheehan went up to the referee, tapped him on the shoulder and said something and received a yellow card for his views.

Charlton won a corner and then the full time whistle blew. It all kicked off with handbags at six places and Euell and Hollands were involved and Elliot joined in. The coaching staff went on to calm things down. Hollands got a yellow card.

It was 2-1 win as Wyn Grant forecast yesterday and Charlton kept their place at the top of the table. As Chris Powell said last season, ‘Judge me when I get my own team’

1 comment:

Crowborough Addick said...

Thanks for the report Paul. On the OS they have shrunk the print, so rather than a magnifying glass you might need a telescope to read it.

I see on CAFC picks, Wyn had this down as a loss, and has now revised his prediction.

Next up Colchester away, who so nearly joined us at the top of the table, before conceding a late goal. I must say I am surprised to see Tranmere up there as well.

Happy days!