Saturday, 12 November 2011

Battling Brakes overtake City

'You're not very good' chanted Cambridge City fans as their side went 2-1 ahead against Leamington at the New Windmill Ground this afternoon. But by the end of the game they were silenced as Brakes overtook them 4-2.

The visitors went 1-0 ahead through Craig Hammond after three minutes and this one has to be down to Brakes keeper Lee Evans after he hesitated about whether to come for the ball or leave it.

However, Brakes were soon back on equal terms through David Kolodynski after a three touch move that started with a free kick.

I missed Cambridge's second goal as I was about to buy my raffle ticket but it seems that the ball was bobbling about in the area and was not cleared properly and the next thing I saw was the old onion bag, as they call it Statesside, shaking from the impact of the ball.

Brakes missed a golden chance to score from a few yards out, but City keeper and Luton Town product Zac Barrett made a couple of excellent saves, one from a free kick.

In the early part of the game the referee, who was one of those who likes to be his Tesco clubcard the only one he shows, had mislaid his contact lenses and missed handballs and the like, although the lino on the Sheepside also seem to have problems with what was happening immediately in front of him.

Any decision the referee did take, however reasonable, was the subject of constant complaint from Cambridge's lippy captain who performed a similar role when they came last year and eventually the one yellow card of the game was shown.

Brakes equalised through a wonderful effort under the bar from Jamie Hood. They then seemed to take their foot off the pedal as half time approached, seemingly content with levelling the score.

Half time: Brakes 2, Lilywhites 2

Possibly the decisive goal of the game was scored on 47 minutes when a great move led to a goal by Jacob Blyth.

From then on a more confident side played some fluent football, keeping possession well and passing the ball around, often on the ground. Blyth put the game effectively beyond doubt making it 4-2.

Cambridge still showed an ability to threaten and the Brakes keeper made one great save on the ground, being caught by his opponent for his pains.

News came through via our departing pitch announcer of the success of Stourbridge against Plymouth and the impressive progress of AFC Totton to the next round of the FA Cup.

The referee had been given a special Fergie Time watch and managed to find considerable time to add on, but Cambridge were unable to narrow the score.

By leaving Copenhagen early this morning I was able to ensure that the crowd was 631 rather than 629 and the effort I made was more than matched by that of the team. If we keep on playing like this, attendances should improve.

No comments: