Tuesday 14 August 2007

Carling Cup strategy

Charlton aren't going to win the Carling Cup. And if we go too far in it, we may pick up injuries or find we have tired players who cannot contribute to the key goal of winning promotion.

On the other hand, losing to Swindon tonight would be a blow to morale after a somewhat faltering start against Scunthorpe on Saturday, although most of the comments I have read by the Addickted feel that there were a lot of positives to take from the game.

Indications are that Pards will play a largely unchanged side tonight. Given the problems we had in central defence at the weekend, I would like to see Fortune being given an opportunity as I think he is good enough at this level. Bougherra worries me more than McCarthy. The latter is at least a 'safety first' player who hacks the ball into Row Z at the first sign of danger which is better than conceding a corner.

Corners are something of a hobby horse for me. I know that statistically not many goals are scored from corners. However, too many of our corners do not even create a half chance. They are either overhit or lack the pace on them needed to create a goal scoring opportunity.

If Zheng Zhi is match fit he may get a try out tonight, if only from the subsitutes' bench. I would be inclined to drop Ambrose for him. Apparently his name means 'Resourceful Warrior' in Mandarin.

I can't make it tonight as I am subject to a Defra inspection today and will probably be declared to have my foot in my mouth and hence subject to a movement restriction order.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, our corners have been very poor for years now, even with 4 different managers. We used to score a lot from corners in 03/04 when Di Canio and Jensen were taking them, but since then we only very occasionally look like getting a chance from them, and thats usually a header over the bar.

We need to win this tonight and hopefully get a few goals to give some more confidence for Stoke on Saturday.