Sunday, 11 November 2012

Shipshape and Bristol fashion

Charlton won a convincing 2-0 victory over Bristol City at Ashton Gate this afternoon. This puts Charlton 16th on the table, albeit ahead of three other teams on goal difference, but we are only two points behind Blackpool and Wolves.

Loan player Danny Seaborne came into the Charlton side at Ashton Gate at the expense of Dorian Dervite, reports Paul May. The minute’s silence at the beginning of the game to mark Remembrance Sunday was impeccably observed.

Charlton had more of the opening play, but they did not threaten. Danger man Adomah put in a cross, but Solly put in a fine block to stop the attacking Bristol player (not quite sure who it was). An effort by Kerkar, after Haynes had launched an attack, was tipped round the post by the keeper to give the Addicks the opening corner of the game. A second corner followed, but Jackson’s corner went out of play for a goal kick.

Pritchard floated in a cross, but Jackson could not connect and Bristol launched a counter attack which did not lead to a real threat.

A shot by Kerkar from distance had the keeper back pedalling, but the ball went over. One time Charlton prospect Sam Baldock put in a shot from distance which was well wide. Stephens hit the post, Haynes scored from the follow up and glanced anxiously at the assistant referee, but the flag was not raised. The home players dropped their heads.

Hulse was offering good link up play. Pritchard was up against Fontaine who is a much taller player, but he won the header. Haynes was not sure if he was offside and hit the outside of the post. Baldock suddenly came alive and Stephens had to deal with the attack. As Adomah threatened, Hamer dived to claim the ball. The home supporters started to boo skipper Fontaine.

City supporter Hamer had to save from Baldock. Haynes gave the ball away and went down and Solly had to put in a hard but fair tackle. Bristol City won a free kick. The delivery was poor, and after a deflection which improved it, Hamer was able to claim the ball.

Hulse was brought down and a free kick was awarded. Stephens put in a decent delivery, but it was cleared. Solly fed Pritchard who fed Haynes and the home side had to concede a corner with Kerkar threatening. The corner from Stephens was decent enough, but the move ended in a goal kick.

Briggs ran cynically into Pritchard, but there was no booking. Charlton continued to apply pressure and the home fans were restive. Some of them drifted out for an early pie. Solly got round his man, but was not able to feed Haynes or Hulse. Bristol City did come into the game more as half time approached. Hamer had to come out to deal with a cross.

Baldock won a Bristol’s first corner in the 45th minute. Hamer punched clear, Kilkenny floated the ball in and Hamer dealt with it well under pressure to the admiration of his relatives among the home fans. As the half time whistle was sounded, there were some boos from the home fans. Of the crowd of 13,009, 1017 were Addicks.

HT: Robins 0, Addicks 1

Haynes broke through, but shot wide. Bristol City won a corner. The ball was cleared from danger. Charlton continued to harry when necessary and give the home side no time on the ball. Baldock clearly thought he was playing for owner Steve Lansdown’s rugby side and put the ball way over the crossbar.

Jackson intercepted well as Adomah threatened. Stephens shot and the keeper had to tip the ball over the bar. The corner was saved, but on 56 minutes Morrison scored to give the Addicks a vital second goal (the BBC attributed it to loan player Seaborne). Bristol made a double substitution. On 69 minutes the home side us up their final substitution.

After they went 2-0 down, City started to cause more problems, particularly through Adomah and Dervitte was brought on in place of Haynes and the Addicks switched to 4-5-1. Fontaine wrestled with Hulse and Charlton won the free kick nearly 30 yards out. Jackson’s left footed effort went just wide.

Bristol City won a free kick about 35 yards out, but it went harmlessly wide. Ben Hamer made a save with his fist, but then Seaborne had to clear on the line at the expense of a corner. The offside flag was raised and Ricardo Fuller came on in place of Rob Hulse, who had put in a good shift, on 86 minutes.

A tiring Kerkar was taken off and replaced by Taylor in the four minutes of time added on.

No comments: