Wednesday, 29 June 2016

New statement by Peter Varney

Former Charlton chief executive Peter Varney has made a new statement about recent comments made by the current chief executive Katrien Meire. The statement has been published by Voice of the Valley on their website: Varney statement

Peter Varney says that his solicitors wrote to Katrien Meire asking for a retraction on 14 June, but have not received a reply. He has been touched by the support he has received from the Charlton community, but paradoxically this makes it difficult to bring an action for defamation.

3 comments:

Blackheath Addicted said...

Wyn, regrettable but I suppose understandable. Does this mean that Meire is now immune from any form of comeback for anything she says (or writes), on the grounds that the world and his dog know she is an incurable liar?

Valley of Tears said...

Breathtaking - although entirely consistent with past conduct - that Peter Varney has not had the courtesy of a reply . Interesting point made in the advice that Peter Varney has received . What it boils down to is that he will struggle to demonstrate reputational damage - And that can only be construed as meaning that reasonable people will not place any reliance on the statements of Katrien Meire - that her standing is so low that her public comments do not result in reputationtal damage because they are not believed . That is a position that I and countless others reached long ago . But it is not compatible with holding the office of Chief Executive of an important community institution such as CAFC . Surely that is a point which those charged with the corporate governance of our club cannot responsibly fail to take into account. ...however I won't be holding my breath ....

Wyn Grant said...

I think that the point his lawyers was making was that his reputation had been boosted within the Charlton community. Bringing an action for defamation can be expensive and, if you lose, you are liable for the defendant's costs.