Tuesday 16 March 2021

Charlton fight back to win

Charlton fought back from being 0-2 down to beat Bristol Rovers 3-2 at The Valley tonight.  It was 2-2 at the break after goals from Shinnie and Forster-Caskey.  Washington scored the winner on 83 minutes after a battling second half.

This was the first time Charlton have conceded the first goal and gone on to win the game since the play off final in 2019.

Conor Washington said: 'We gave ourselves a mountain to climb, but we showed great character.   We showed fight, determination and grit.  The last fifteen minutes we were right on top.  Jacko is really pleased with the come back.'

Jacko said: 'Unbelievable.   The effort and the spirit that they have shown has made me ever so proud.  I was disappointed with the two goals, not necessarily a fair reflection of the game so far.  They stepped up, they dug themselves back into that game.   We just needed to be a little bit calmer in our play, we showed that towards the end of the first half.'

Jacko said he did not know what would happen beyond tonight.

The game started at a high tempo.  Maatsen made an unnecessary shoulder charge in the area and the referee awarded a penalty.  Amos went the wrong way in response to Leahy's shot and it was 0-1.

A cheeky Rovers chip after a break saw Amos stranded, but the ball went just wide of the post.  Amos made a good save off Nicholson.   Charlton were struggling and were caught in possession.  Amos could not save a fierce shot from distance by Upson and it was 0-2.

Then Shinnie scored a crucial goal with a great finish to make it 1-2.  Stockley was fouled on the edge of the area and Forster-Caskey scored the equaliser from the free kick.

HT: 2-2

Upson got a yellow card.  Maatsen fed Millar but Washington shot straight at the keeper.  On 60 minutes a somewhat annoyed Millar was replaced by DJ.

Shinnie got a yellow card.   On 73 minutes Aneke replaced Stockley.  Hargreaves got a yellow card.

Rovers were running out of gas and Washington was causing them problems.   An Aneke header set up Washington and he scored from the rebound.   Morgan got a yellow card.

Five minutes were added on.  Keeper Day bought down Aneke and was sent off.   Pratley came on for Shinnie.   A last minute Rovers free kick spelt danger with their keeper up but they failed to threaten.

Charlton are in 6th place and look likely to stay there with Fleetwood 2-0 up against Ipswich.

No comments: