Saturday 28 August 2021

Three points at last

Charlton secured their first three points of the season with a 2-0 win over Crewe at The Valley this afternoon.   The victory came with first half goals from DJ and Stockley.  Curbs said they were two great goals.  Crewe threatened at times, but Charlton were able to stand firm in the second half with two clearances off the line.

The Addicks did create opportunities in the second half but were unable to take them while MacGillivray had to make some good saves.

DJ said that everyone was banging on to him about getting on the back post when the crosses come in.  He thought it was his best game in a Charlton shirt.   'We've been playing well, but not coming away with the victories.  The plan was to keep it going.'   More from DJ here:

Charlton made a positive start.  In the first fifteen minutes they were on the front foot, dominated possession and created opportunities.

Crewe then got into the game more and there were signs of the midfield being stretched.   The pressure was disappointing.  Negativists on social media started to target DJ.

On 35 minutes Chris Gunter (Scott Minto said he was 'superb') put in a teasing left-footed cross and DJ scored with a brilliant bullet header.

Ainley put in a shot drawing a good save from MacGillivray at the expense of a corner.

On 42 minutes DJ put in a good ball across the pitch, Washington saw Stockley coming down the centre of the pitch and passed to him, Stockley went round the keeper and slotted the ball in.'

HT: 2-0

A Stockley header was over.   Following two Charlton corners, a Gunter shot brushed the side netting.

Inniss had to gone off and was replaced by Deji Elerewe who was praised after the game by Nigel Adkins, but Curbs wondered what Pearce was there for.

Crewe made a double substitution which made them a bit more threatening.   MacGillivray made a good claim from Crewe.   Washington drew a save from the keeper.  It was now end to end and MacGillivray had to deal with a post shot at the expense of a corner.

Kirk was replaced by Elliot Lee.   Following a Crewe corner, a Porter header was cleared off the line by Morgan.  Clare came on.

After a good build up a Charlton shot was cleared off the line. As the 80 minute mark was passed, Matthews put in good defensive work.   Crewe piled on the pressure and MacGillivray had to make a save.  Following a Crewe corner, Morgan had to clear.

In six minutes added on, a tired Washington shot went wide, but Charlton won a corner and saw the game out comfortably enough,

18 attempts on goal to 11, 6 to 4 on target, just edged possession (51-49 per cent).   Charlton are 19th.

Nigel Adkins said that a lot of things on the training ground had been implemented, 'we should have scored more.   We're making sure that everything is positive.   I am really pleased we kept a clean sheet. It was nice to get Elliot Lee on the pitch.   Jayden Stockley's goal was really good, we caught them on the counter attack.   It was a great atmosphere in The Valley.  You can see there is a definite spirit and we have some quality.   Ryan is going to be all right, he was a bit uncomfortable so he came off.  Sometimes we've left Jayden too isolated.  It's getting players to play together to sustain pressure.  We want to try and keep the momentum going.  There's a willingness to keep working and learning.'

Curbs was concerned that Inniss had had to come off twice.  Were we going to do more business?

Louis Mendez offers four takeaway points from the game:

No comments: