Saturday 23 April 2022

Charlton move into top half of table

 Charlton beat the pride of Shropshire 2-0 at The Valley this afternoon in the last home game of the season.   It was six victories out of the last nine.   Charlton are now 12th, just in the top half of the table.

What was to be an unchanged Charlton side from the win at Cambridge faced Shrewsbury Town at The Valley on a chilly afternoon, but DJ replaced Blackett-Taylor after the team had been announced.  He developed a late illness, so late there was no extra sub on the bench.  It was a big miss.

Yann Kermorgant was the guest on Charlton TV and his son was a mascot.  The 'we were better off under Roland' crowd might like to remember how he let Kermorgant go.

Charlton made a good start, as is usually the case.  An effort by DJ was tipped away by Morosi and led to an early Charlton corner.

Pearce had to make a good header away under pressure after Morgan had let the ball slip.

Sean Clare came down awkwardly and the referee sent him off the pitch.

Shrewsbury got into the game a bit more, Fornah putting in a decent shot, and Johnnie Jackson was on the edge of his technical area urging his players on.  Charlton weren't finding to easy to stop the visitors coming forward.   Steve Brown said we had to be better at recognising where they were trying to get in behind.

The ball took a big deflection off Dobson to give Shrewsbury a corner in front of the Covered End.   It ended in a free kick for Charlton.

Charlton's midfielders needed to get involved more to give the Addicks a spell of possession, but Shrewsbury won another corner.   It was headed away by Stockley.

A heavy touch from Famewo in a clearance put Charlton in trouble, but Udoh was unable to take advantage.   Gilbey kept losing possession.    

Matthews sent Washington on his way but the keeper made a good save.  

It had been a catalogue of errors from both sides but with no outcome.   Steve Brown said that Charlton had not been creative and were not keeping the ball well.

Charlton won a corner, a move starting with a good throw by Matthews.   Gilbey's header went straight to Morosi.

It had been a half lacking in intensity.    There was no time added on because as Louis Mendez commented the square root of sod all had happened.  

HT: 0-0

Macca had to make an early double save from Bowman and Daniels before Famewo cleared away.  The Charlton defending had been poor with a lack of communication.

Pearce won a free kick by the corner flag, Morgan's effort leading to a Charlton corner which was cleared.

Washington was in goal but Morosi saved.  A good Morgan corner was met by a powerful Stockley header to make it 1-0.

Macca had to palm away a shot from former Leamington ace Udoh.  

The disappointing Gilbey came off and Aneke came on.   A good move from Charlton with nice work from DJ on the left ended with a header by Aneke straight at Morosi.

Morosi was upset about something that happened behind his goal in the Covered End and the referee made a note.   The referee went to speak to the fourth official and Charlton security.   There was a long delay.

Morgan delivered the free kick well and the power of Aneke's header after he got away from his marker made it 2-0.  

Seven minutes were added on.   Macca had to stretch out and grab the ball.   Charlton applied some pressure, but the third goal didn't come.   A Morgan free kick led to a corner.   The ball went over the bar after both Clare and Stockley went for it.

Kanu came on to loud applause.   Dobson took a shot but it went wide.

The pundits

Curbs said that Macca made a great double save.  It had been a disappointing season.  From where we were when Jacko took over you've got to be well pleased.  It would be a tough old game at Ipswich.  We had to go into the market.    Blackett-Taylor had the turn of pace, but DJ was more tricky in the box.  We weren't playing against the best opposition.   We had one or two scares but survived it.   'I think Jacko will be looking at the back five.  We let some poor goals in.  We need to be a bit more aggressive when we're exposed.  There was scope there to turn it around.'

Post match comments from Jacko here:

Comments from both managers after Shrewsbury's Slovakian goalkeeper made comments about an alleged racist remark directed at him:

It appears that two men ejected from the ground and interviewed by police were wrongly identified:

No comments: