Monday 15 September 2008

White kit may absorb football black hole

Doncaster Rovers have no injury worries for tomorrow night's clash against the Addicks, but Charlton will be without Zheng Zhi who has a badly bruised foot picked up in training. At least this put to a rest rumours that he had been the first victim of a black hole generated by the CERN accelerator.

In fact the biggest black hole at The Valley at the moment seems to be in the footballing plans of not so super Alan Pardew. He stated in the programme on Saturday, 'I've been at Charlton for around 18 months now, and I'm beginning to feel the side plays the way I want to, rather than having to play a system that was better suited to the players I inherited.' Hmmm.

Charlton will be turning out for the first time in their new white kit and for those of us who regard white as the classic Addicks change colour, this might be a hopeful sign. Perhaps the white will absorb any footballing black holes.

Talking of kit, I wasn't too keen on the picture of a brooding youth in a gritty urban setting in the programme which screamed 'chav' at me. I'm not sure I'd want to wear something which flaunted the brand name in such large and tasteless lettering but, then, obviously the gear is not aimed at me.

Doncaster come into the game off the back of a 1-0 defeat at Birmingham City which looks like a better encounter with a West Midlands side than our 1-3 hammering by Wolves. One of the Donny web sites I looked at was forecasting a narrow home win and unfortunately that doesn't sound unrealistic. Killer is going for a draw which I suppose is a realistic ambition, but I am losing all reason and going for a 2-1 win for the Addicks.

I'm not going to the match: I have to spend Wednesday to Saturday in Hull which constitutes a cruel and unusual punishment and represents quite enough of that part of the country.

12 comments:

Otherwarwickaddick said...

What no comment on the Brakes defeat by last year's promotion rivals Evesham?

Anonymous said...

When I was at university at Hull, admittedly long ago before the Icelandic fish war, it had the best fish and chip shop in the entire universe.

Wyn Grant said...

On Leamington, I'm still feeling the pain. It wasn't a good footballing weekend. But they can, as they say, concentrate on the league.

Anonymous said...

I think that this season we have the best home and way kit that I can remember. I have even bought a new replica home kit shirt to replace my 1992 "Back to Valley" shirt.

I was sort of hoping it would bring a change of fortune for us.

For thinking such a thing, I think I'll buy a white one next, that straps up at the back..

Pembury addick

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with Hull having great fish and chips!

Pardew needs to settle on a choice of right back. Sam plays better with Yassin who gave him more options by pacey overlapping runs.

Basey did seem to link better with Bouzza, but isn't as strong defensively. Still hopefull we'll get there.

Anonymous said...

often thought that the u replaced by an e would be more appropriate

Anonymous said...

Aside from your tongue in cheek comments about Hull, do have the opportunity to meet up with any local Addicks whilst you are up here?

Wyn Grant said...

Given the comments on fish and chips, it's somewhat ironic that I shall be attending a meeting at (not in) The Deep aquarium. I have probably been a bit hard on Hull as I am envious of their current position in the Premiership. A Hull based company in which I have been a shareholder for many years has done very well for me. As far as Charlton supporters are concerned, our last visit to Hull was to see a friend who had recently been divorced from her Charlton supporting husband so the Addicks were not a popular topic.

Anonymous said...

Actually the Deep has a very good restaurant and indeed fish is usually on the menu. And yes, I think they see the irony of that!

If you've time for a beer in one of the pubs in the Old Town I'd be up for that. (Our paths have a strangley overlapping nature about them - academica, Brussels and Charlton - so it would be good to have a chat with you)

Wyn Grant said...

We have a pretty full programme including the evenings but I will be at the Holiday Inn Marina from apx. 6 p.m. tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

That suits me. See you there?
Stewart

Wyn Grant said...

Bit reliant on train being on time.