Wednesday 10 September 2008

Wolves preview

The latest issue of 4-4-2 has a picture of The Valley in the 1950s with Billy Wright powering through two Charlton players, one of whom I am sure is Derek Ufton. When I started supporting Charlton in the 1950s, the visit of Wolves was always viewed with some trepidation as it invariably met a home defeat.

Judging from some comments by supporters on other blogs, this is an inevitable defeat for the Addicks. Now I know that some fans get most satisfaction from slagging off their own team, but this does seem to me to be overdoing the gloom. I thought that the performance against Reading was generally a good one and they were also supposed to be invincible. It's too early in the season to start that irritating habit of reading results off the table.

Whether the advertised return of Linvoy Primus will actually strengthen our defence remains to be seen. However, I would be reluctant to make a 100 mile return trip on Saturday if I thought we were going to get nothing out of the game. I will go for a 2-2 draw.

This preview is rather early as I have to go to Paris early tomorrow to give a paper at the Sorbonne. But I will be back for the match on Saturday and there will be a full match report as usual.

No comments: