Tuesday, 22 March 2011

Honours even at The Valley

There were quite a few changes from last Saturday’s team for the game against Southampton, reports Phillipa Nicholson from The Valley. Elliot returned in goal with Worner sidelined because of an injured finger. Llera was retained as centre back with Doherty on the bench. Solly and Bessone featured in the full back positions. Parrett made his home debut and Racon also featured alongside Semedo with McCormack dropped. For Saints, former Addick Frazer Richardson was on the bench.

Parrett provided a great delivery from a free kick but Llera was not able to connect. Parrett covered well to stop an attack after the Saints keeper threw the ball out. Nouble looked lively and Charlton’s play was positive. Elliot dealt well with a Saints attack. Wagstaff appealed for a penalty after a Llera free kick, but there wasn’t much of a case.

A Southampton counter attack petered out. A Southampton free kick was headed clear by Llera. Parrett provided good pressure. Solly put in a decent ball to the box after a good run, but it was cleared. Bessone got away with some no nonsense defending to the annoyance of the visiting fans.

Semedo took a blow in a sensitive area. Southampton were getting into the game a little more. A free kick for a supposed foul was awarded against Racon. The shot went in and Llera had to concede a corner, Elliot was reluctant to claim. Parrett was able to clear from the corner, but Saints attacked again. Racon put in a good tackle but Charlton were not able to take advantage of the attacking opportunity.

Charlton conceded a corner after Elliot dropped the ball. The header went wide on 25 minutes. Semedo put in a poor pass, allowing Southampton to attack. A free kick went through the wall and was saved well by Elliot.

The match quietened down with neither side dominant. Saints had to make a substitution because of injury, N'Guessan replacing Lallana who headed straight down the tunnel. Racon played the ball across goal after a flick on from Wright-Phillips, but no one was able to connect.

Wagstaff started a counter attack. Solly provided some good play. However, the attack came to nothing.

Wagstaff was pulled back cynically by Harding. Parrett put a decent ball in from the free kick. Racon over hit the ball for a goal kick. Two minutes were added on. Barnard shot and it took a deflection, leading to a Saints corner. Llera headed clear.

Half time: Addicks 0, Saints 0

Saints came out of the traps looking determined. Wright-Phillips kicked the ball away after an offside decision and received a yellow card. Charlton advanced through a succession of throw ins. Racon gave away possession, but he won the ball back well.

Bessone did well against Oxlade-Chamberlain. A free kick by the loan player was poor. Saints won a corner through a counter attack. Llera put off Fonte and Charlton got the goal kick. Bessone took the ball off the advancing Barnard.
Racon put in an effort but it went straight at the keeper. Bessone defended well. Nouble tried to advance, but he was a bit selfish with Wright-Phillips advancing. Elliot made a good athletic save from Barnard at the expense of a corner.

Oxlade-Chamberlain was limping after a legitimate challenge from Bessone. Parrett went down inside the centre circle, but he seemed to be ok. Oxlade-Chamberlain was taken off. Lambert was beaten to the ball by Semedo. Saints won their sixth corner and Llera conceded a seventh. The Tunisian centre half Jaidi made no mistake in slotting the ball home from 15 yards out on 64 minutes giving Elliot no chance. The 3,098 Saints fans out of a crowd of 16,550 celebrated.

Barnard won a corner for Saints, but Charlton were able to clear. Eccleston was brought on with Wagstaff, who had not been all that involved in the second half, went off on 73 minutes. Bessone put in a cross but Wright-Phillips was not able to make sufficient corner. Solly won Charlton’s first corner of the game. Llera’s header was just wide of the target from a good delivery from Parrett.

Racon was fouled by Butterfield. Parrett put in a great delivery, Semedo got there with a volley, but it came off the underside of the bar. Lee Barnard picked up a yellow card for a foul on Parrett and was substituted.

Anyinsah came on with the game entering its last ten minutes. Wright-Phillips put in a speculative effort from distance which went wide. Racon put in a sloppy pass and Elliot was put under pressure.

Wright-Phillips secured the equaliser. Parrett lofted the ball with spin over the defence for the goal poacher to put the ball under the keeper.

Chris Powell was spoken to by the fourth official after he threw the ball away. Parrett made a good challenge and Racon and Parrett combined well. The Addickted came alive. Saints put the ball in the net, but it was ruled offside. It was a tight decision.

Anyinsah broke forward and Davis had to use all its skills. Bessone put a ball in, but it was headed clear by Fonte. Charlton kept up the pressure, but eventually Chaplow was able to clear. Four minutes were added on.

Semedo challenged well as Saints advanced. Chaplow used the elbow on Semedo. Racon put in a good through ball but Wright-Phillips was caught offside. Parrett, who had a great game was taken off and Doherty came on. Elliot claimed well.

Parrett received the Silver Biscuit. This was a great fight back and gives us hope.

The Charlton defence had been well organised, but little had been created going forward.

Half time: Addicks 0, Saints 0


Averagejoe said...

Goddammit I hate Jaidi

Kap said...

an improved performance but still much to do. Few chances created but the real test will come against lesser teams than saints.

Sciurus Carolinensis Nemesis said...

Typical!! I miss my first home game since Oldham in August and the (much changed) team puts in a spirited performance against decent opposition. Could the arrival of new blood in the midfield, who will be competing for a place from Saturday, have perked up a few? The absence of McCormack was well overdue, poor love it's not his fault he just can't do it. Let's hope Jenkinson's situation is sorted quicksmart cos he's been the sole glimmer of light in these last 8 or so dismal debacles. Whether last night was a one off or the first green shoot of springtime regrowth we will get a good idea Saturday at Bournemouth, stay tuned...

Geoff said...

Amazing.We played the full 90 and with some spirit. Full-backs played well, Racon looked better for his stay on the bench and there was more connection w/o McC. A major transformation from the Daggers disaster. Return of JJ would help but we need a creator and assume Parrett cannot be in our permanent sights.