Saturday, 29 December 2012

Ten man Charlton hold on for point

Chris Powell made five changes in the Charlton line up against Derby County at The Valley this afternoon, reports Paul May. Frimpong, Green and Seaborne disappeared altogether. Wilson returned from suspension on the right, Evina came in on the left, Pritchard and Jackson were in midfield and Kermorgant replaced Hulse up front. There were three strikers on the bench.

Derby secured an early free kick in a promising position. Kermorgant headed behind for a corner. The ball was volleyed away for a throw in. Haynes and Kermorgant combined to win Charlton’s first corner. Jackson’s corner was dealt with easily. Hughes was shown a yellow card for bringing Pritchard down with a slightly late and careless tackle.

Morrison was shown a yellow card for a tackle on Hughes. The free kick from Davies was tipped over by Hamer for a corner which led to a goal kick. Derby were showing some pace up front. A free kick from Davies curled just wide of the far post by inches. Another free kick was awarded to Derby as former Sunday League referee Boyeson imposed himself on the game. Brayford’s header from the penalty spot did not have enough power and it went wide of the post.

Charlton were losing the midfield battle and the bench shouted instructions to Pritchard, but he lost control to Hughes. Haynes held the ball up, having obtained it from Kermorgant, and scored a goal out of nothing, arrowing the ball into the corner of the net. It could be a goal of the season contender.

Solly shot on his 100th appearance as Charlton started to buzz, having been lifted by the Haynes goal. Evina dallied on the ball and was robbed and Hamer had to save from Robinson. Pritchard put a shot in and it was deflected for a corner. Stephens put in a decent delivery but Cort did not read it right.

Kermorgant and Haynes were combining well. As soon as Kermorgant got the ball, two players were on him. Evina made an important defensive header. Derby won a corner through Brayford. Solly was able to clear, but then Haynes leant towards the ball and he was in agony as his hamstring went. Wright-Phillips came on in his place.

Hamer had to make a great save with his left hand from Tyson who burst out of nowhere. Morrison committed a foul and was given a final warning after the referee had initially reached for his pocket for a second yellow. Davies put in a shot from the free kick for 40 yards out but Hamer was well positioned.

The shaven haired charm merchant O’Connor pushed Wright-Phillips in the back. Hughes put in a dipping volley from 30 yards out which went over the bar, Hamer had it covered. Keogh got a yellow card after he fouled Kermorgant. Wilson put in a ball, Kermorgant chipped the ball in and Morrison had a free header but did not time it well.

Solly got the better of Tyson. Wright-Phillips got past Keogh and drew a good save from the keeper. Charlton advanced again, Wilson put in a shot when Kermorgant was free. Wilson broke away and was cynically brought down but O’Connor said he had dived. Wilson made his point to the referee as he headed for his dressing room to check the radiators.

Half time: Addicks 1, Rams 0

Wright-Phillips got away from two defenders and Jackson’s header went wide. Solly got round the defender, Evina hit it well and the keeper put it over the bar. The keeper punched out the corner from Stephens and the Rams were eventually able to clear. Solly floated the ball in and Stephens put it over the bar.

An effort by Stephens was charged down by the Derby back line. Kermorgant was flattened by Keogh. The referee issued a final warning. O’Connor took Pritchard down with a rugby tackle. Stephens took the free kick, Jackson hit a great ball and Legzdins in the Derby goal made an excellent save.

Cort had to make a last gasp defensive header at the expense of a corner. The move led to a second Rams corner. The Addicks were able to clear. A shot from Wright-Phillips went straight at the keeper.

Stephens dispossessed Tyson. Morrison conceded a corner. Charlton got a free kick after Cort was held. The attendance was announced as 17,761 with 1,300 away fans. The total included the likes of Wyn Grant who had been deterred by forecasts of monsoon like weather which turned up later than forecast.

Tyson kicked out at Jackson and Charlton got the free kick. Tyson, who had been losing the plot, was taken off and Sammon came on. Derby won a corner off Kermorgant. Charlton broke quickly and Solly fed Wright-Phillips in a flowing move, Kermorgant knocked the ball down for Pritchard who hit the underside of the bar.

A knackered Hughes went off and Ward came on. Derby won another corner. A penalty was awarded after two players went for the ball and Morrison was sent off. This was a poor decision by the former Sunday League referee who awarded a penalty against Charlton at Huddersfield last season. The substitute Ward sent Hamer the wrong way to equalise. There was a bit of a trouble behind the goal as a Derby fan got on the pitch.

Stephens came off and Dervitte came on. A Derby corner was punched clear, the ball came in again and Hamer had to make a great save as the rain poured down. The Rams had their ninth corner and Charlton were under the cosh. Sammon had made an impact since coming on.

Derby won their tenth corner as they turned the screw. The header was wide of the target. Hamer was booked for kicking the ball away as Derby won another corner. Dervitte put in a great defensive header. Charlton were under more pressure and Solly had to make a defensive header. Chris Powell was giving instructions to Evina. The rain hammered down.

Derby won another corner. Ward had to come off and ‘Crackers’ Jacobs came on. The header from Brayford hit the base of the post. Kermorgant came off and received a standing ovation, Fuller replaced him with five minutes of normal time left. Wright-Phillips got away from the defender with a great run, but a Derby defender was able to stop the ball reaching Fuller.

The pitch was cutting up quite a lot. Derby won one corner and then another one. Evina got the ball away from danger. Charlton launched an attack through Wright-Phillips, Derby counter attacked and Wilson intervened.

Four minutes were added on. Evina defended well. Dervitte averted danger. Derby won their fourteenth corner off Jackson. Brayford had a free run again but did not time it properly. The whistle went for a point.

No comments: