Tuesday 18 June 2019

£400k deal for Bowyer: supremo talks to Sky

A £400k deal for Lee Bowyer was agreed in a 10pm phone call with Roland Duchatelet last night.

'We went on a real journey last season,' Bowyer said in a statement this morning. “The club came together — the players, the staff, the fans and we achieved something special. The journey hasn’t finished yet and I’m delighted this has all been agreed.'

'This has been a long process and I never wanted to leave, I love this club. I’d like to thank the owner for giving me the initial opportunity and now for continuing to believe in me. We have a fantastic fan-base here and my focus continues to be getting our squad in the best possible shape for the Championship next season.'

Roland Duchatelet told TalkSport, 'We found an agreement which is a very nice agreement for [Bowyer] but also an agreement where we do not get into a big liability for the future which is important for us as we look to sell the club.'

Interviewed on Sky Sports News, Lee Bowyer said that nothing at Charlton is ever straightforward. Asked how close he was to leaving, Bowyer said 'for me it wasn't close.' His wife told him 'you've gone', but then Roland phoned a few hours later.

Bowyer said, 'I love the club. Everybody knows that.' Asked if events had disrupted his plans for next season, the shell shocked supremo said 'I can't lie.' There had been some disruption. However, it is hoped to have more players in by the end of the week.

Lee Bowyer has been talking to TalkSport and Louis Mendez has a transcript of his main comments. Bowyer admits it is going to be difficult next season with the smallest budget in the Championship: I was unaware of statement announcing my exit

All that could change for the better if a new owner comes in and some are suggesting that could happen within a couple of weeks.

No comments: