Saturday 21 November 2009

Sodje sent off, his brother equalises

That cider was good! Parky made minimal changes for today's match against Yeovil, writes Erith Addick Paul May,limited to what was needed to replace the injured Frazer Richardson. Grant Basey came in at left back with Kelly Youga switching across to the right. Nick Bailey was retained in central midfield and Carl Ikeme in goal. The 1700 Charlton fans were suffering torrential rain and strong winds on the terrace.

Charlton started brightly on the attack, but then Dailly had to deal with a moment of danger. Danger loomed again and Ikeme had to make a good save from Mason. Burton was caught offside as the rain came down horizontally. Standing water could be seen on the pitch. The wind was behind the home side who were playing towards the Addickted.

Youga was looking strong in defence. Basey had a shot on goal but it went wide. Basey did well to take the ball off Welsh in attack. Racon went past two defenders well and won a corner kick taken by Bailey which was punched clear by McCarthy in the Yeovil goal.

Mooney and Burton combined well, but Yeovil defended well. A long ball came in over the Charlton defence Sodje brought down Mason on the edge of the area. Sodje got the first Charlton red card of the season. The free kick went straight at the keeper.

Mooney had to be taken off and replaced by Llera. Semedo was booked for a foul. Yeovil won a corner, but it was caught by the wind and went straight out of play.

Sam did well to win a corner, but it was unproductive. Llera put in a good tackle to deal with a Yeovil attack. Racon was fouled, but the referee gave a throw in to Yeovil. Racon broke away and won a free kick halfway inside the Yeovil half. It was a good free kick but McCarthy in the Yeovil goal dealt well with the ball.

Dailly headed away a Yeovil free kick. It seemed to be raining even harder. Ikeme's clearance went backwards in the wind. Yeovil won the midfield battle, Okiba burst through and the Spurs loan player put Yeovil ahead just before the half time whistle. Two minutes were added on. Caulker put the ball over the bar for Yeovil.

Half time: Glovers 1, Addicks 0

Akpo Sodje was brought on for Racon at half time, creating what looked like a 2-3-4, and won an early free kick for Charlton. Llera took an excellent free kick and Akpo Sodje was waiting to pounce and out the ball in the back of the net but was ruled offside. Charlton started the half well.

Charlton won a corner off a Semedo cross, but the wind took the ball beyond Llera off Basey's corner. Dailly conceded a free kick and was given a ticking off by the referee. The flag went up for offside.

Akpo Sodje slammed the ball into the top corner from 25 yards out to make it 1-1. From the re-start, a clearance under pressure from McCarthy was put out for a corner by the wind, leading to a second.

Sodje burst through, he was one on one with the keeper, the keeper got a touch and it went off the post for a corner, but the ball went over the crossbar. Welsh came off for Yeovil and Dean Bowditch came on.

The keeper had to tip over a ball from Sodje. Sam took the corner, but Llera could not connect. An attempt by Bailey went over into the Charlton fans. An effort by Sam went wide. Yeovil took off Murray.

Hutchings was booked for handball, giving Charlton a free kick in a promising position. Basey's free kick was excellent and McCarthy had to touch it stop it going in at the far post. The corner was unproductive.

Sam's effort was blocked on the line by Dutch defender Starn and then Sodje was denied on the line as well. Sam went past two defenders and Burton's effort was blocked. Charlton were well on top, but they could they get the ball in the net?

Charlton won another corner, but Bailey's effort was cleared. Youga was given a yellow card for a foul on Bowditch. Yeovil made a rare attack, but Kalala's effort was poor. Yeovil made their third substitution with Hutchings going off and Nathan Smith came on.

Basey won a free kick for Charlton. Sodje was somewhat harshly judged to have pushed his marker. Sodje got a free kick for a push in the back on the edge of the area. Bailey's effort went into the wall. The pressure was kept up, but eventually Yeovil won a goal kick.

Yeovil won a fortunate corner, but the ball went behind for a goal kick. A shot by Bailey was deflected for a corner by Caulker. Charlton won a second off Bailey's effort. McCarthy touched Basey's corner on to the crossbar. Bailey took the third, but it was cleared.

Yeovil counter attacked after more Charlton pressure. Bowditch won a free kick as the 90 minutes approached. Three minutes of time were added on.

It was a storming performance in front of the crowd of 5,632 by 10 man Charlton in atrocious conditions.

Millwall lost 0-2 at home to Wycombe. Southampton and Norwich drew and Oldham recovered a two goal deficit to draw with Colchester so with MK Dons losing yesterday Charlton remain comfortably in 2nd place.


ChicagoAddick said...

Thanks Paul. Great report, an excellent result considering and PP deserves a lot of credit for being so positive after the break.

Big round of applause for all the Addicks that made the journey.

Unknown said...

It was wet but a great performance