Saturday 1 February 2020

'It's the result that matters'

That was the reaction of Steve from Petts Wood after Charlton ground a 2-1 win over fellow relegation strugglers Barnsley at The Valley to go up to 19th in the Championship. They were pretty much Lee Bowyer's sentiments too. Read his comments on the game here: Players were a bit rusty

After a first half in which the Addicks were dominant and went 2-0 ahead, the Tykes came out of the traps in the second half and eventually got a goal back. They maintained the pressure and Charlton were forced back too much, but held on, even through the six minutes added on. They had difficulty keeping hold of the ball.

Particularly in the first half, Barnsley resorted to constant fouling and one of their number was fortunate not to get a second yellow. Their manager got a yellow in time added on and one northern charm merchant got a yellow card after the game ended for abusing the referee.

Barnsley found themselves behind inside the first 10 minutes as Taylor reacted quickest as the ball dropped in the box from a Jason Pearce free kick and he scored a poacher's goal. Andersen's header forced Charlton keeper Dillon Phillips into a brilliant save and Aapo Halme hit the outside of the upright with a follow-up effort.

Green's goal just before half time left the Tykes with a lot to do in the second half but Woodrow struck the crossbar after Andersen's initial shot rebounded off Phillips, before scoring after a quick break by Luke Thomas.

I have only just heard about Green's grandad: respect to him for playing, and playing well, and also for acknowledging his grandfather.

Jacob Brown also hit the bar as the Tykes pressed for an equaliser, but their efforts were in vain as Charlton's new majority shareholder Tahnoon Nimer was able to savour three points on his first visit to The Valley.

Darren Pratley deserves really praise for his contribution, he covered every blade of grass and was serenaded by the Covered End. It was great to see Lyle Taylor and Jonny Williams in action. I enjoyed Lyle's 'I'm on fire' interview. Jake Forster-Caskey was disappointing when he came on as a substitute. Hemed also disappointed and nearly set Barnsley up for a second goal by giving the ball away at the other end.

We also messed up a promising free kick by playing it short rather than putting it in the box and allowing Barnsley to counter attack. Johnnie Jackson was beside himself.

Read the report from Louis Mendez here: Vital win

Although one should not really take pleasure in the pain of others, particularly on Candlemas, I have to admit that I was amused by the video of disgruntled Barnsley fans leaving in some chaos to the tune of the 'Red, Red Robin'.

No comments: