Because my stepdaughter was visiting I was unable to watch Saturday's game against Reading which is probably just as well. The 0-3 scoreline against the League One side (admittedly on a roll) reflected an evidently dire performance, not least in midfield.
The closed doors recipe was rather stringent and even included the media so Richard Cawley was unable to file an informed report.
Now it appears that the Carabao Cup at Cheltenham is to be used to fine tune the side as they prepare for the opening Ram raid. This strikes me as a hostage to fortune particularly if GCHQ staff turn up to try out some disruptive equipment.
Shell shocked supremo Nathan Jones admitted “There are masses of disappointment (after the Reading game)
because this has been a really disjointed pre-season, in terms of getting
everyone up to speed. Today should effectively have been our final pre-season
[match] but next week will be, even though it is a cup game.
“We are having to look after so many people and make so many
changes.
“We have to make sure we arrive at the Derby game and
everyone is ready to go - that we can pick our strongest 11 and have
game-changers from the bench. Then we build into it from there."
I know than I resorting to the kind of football cliché I dislike but I am not sure that Jones knows who his best 11 are or indeed who will be available against Derby.
Two narratives are emerging. One is that this just confirms that Jones is a useless manager whose achievements are limited to getting us promoted and keeping us in the Championship on a limited playing budget.
The alternative is that the owners are starving Jones of necessary funds. Given the money the club loses every week and the failure to attract new investors, the lack of cash is no surprise.
No comments:
Post a Comment