Unfortunately I haven't been able to identify any good buys from Aldi or Lidl today, but I have spotted a New World Wine. I am a great fan of them and have enjoyed visits to vineyards in Chile and various parts of Australia (Margaret River is tops).
I am also able to recommend a Sauvignon Blanc and there is an anecdote. Annie was a friend at uni, later a work colleague and then a retirement pal in the Royal Spa. She is no longer with us, but always drank Sauvignon Blanc.
Coffee with Annie
She had a pan in Spain and I used to drive her to and from Birmingham Airport. Sometimes she had an upper class friend from Cambridge with her and this lady always festooned with her luggage on arrival and addressed me as 'Driver'. Hence, 'Driver, take us to Tesco at Warwick and buy us two bottles of SB.'
Once I was at a funeral at Golders Green crematorium for a big funeral conducted by Dame Julia Neuberger. I was not pleased to be identified as Annie's driver by the upper class lady who was accompanied by another upper class airhead.
'You can drive us to the wake.' I explained that I used public transport in London. So I had to take them on the tube which fortunately they found a very exciting novelty. I was also able to give them an architectural tour en route to the pub. I did leave before they did as I knew I would be required to provide a black cab to the Cambridge train.
Anyway, I am great fan of the SBs from Marlborough in New Zealand. They are great value at £12, but the Co-op has an Irresistible Explorers at £8.25. All right, I know that in my day we all called the RACS Rob All Customers Slowly.
Marks & Spencers has a Sicilian wine at £7.50, Found Arisonica which is a citrussy white with a firm finish.
No comments:
Post a Comment