Tuesday, 22 September 2026

Varney on Curbs



Chatting with Curbs: a photo from a card Alan sent me when I was in hospital for the first time ever

Richard Cawley's interviews with Peter Varney about key figures at Charlton have been fascinating and the latest is about Curbs himself.   Print volumes are out of date but it would have been great to have all the interviews brought together in one place.

Here are a few key excerpts from the interview which is available on the South London Press Charlton Substack page.

'He had an unbelievable work ethic. He treated the club’s money as his money. I can think of ones who followed him that didn’t view it that way and had the mentality of ‘just get me another player’.  Why was he like that? Well, he is an east London boy. I think his upbringing was always about hard work.   The cornerstone of Curbs’ success was hard work and being good tactically, in terms of how he would set the side up.

Without demeaning anything Jimmy Seed did - you can take teams to promotion, through the leagues and cup success - but the game in those days was nothing like when Charlton were in the Premier League. 

We had fairly settled sides. The game was so fast. We had come up from a division, in those days, where a club didn’t have the same fitness levels as a team like Arsenal. But Curbs got Charlton’s team to compete.

For me it was always Alan that was our best-ever manager. That’s why when Thomas Sandgaard became the new owner of Charlton, I said I found it difficult to comprehend why he hadn’t been acknowledged in some way. Voice of The Valley editor Rick Everitt helped me get the message out there in February 2021, calling for Curbs to be recognised.

There probably were disagreements, but not over what you probably would think it would be about. It would be operational issues because I’d like to think, if you were talking to him, that I never expressed opinions on players or anything like that. 

You’ve got to remember that Charlton had 17 directors. What tended to happen, and it’s not a criticism of them, is that when a manager came to a meeting and, let’s say, you have lost a game, people would go: ‘Do we practise corners?’ This happened.

Alan wanted to see out the final year of his contract but he felt there were clauses in his terms that were prohibitive to being able to go and test himself in the Champions League. I won’t give you the figures, but it was a financial penalty, so if Liverpool wanted him as their manager they had to pay Charlton ‘x’ million. That was considered to be a block on testing himself at the very top level of the game.'

A memory of my own

The European Commission rang me up one day (obviously this was before Brexit) and said that they hadn't got anyone to head up a mission to an environmental conference in Kunming in south-west China and would I step in?

One thing I learnt from that visit is never underestimate the Chinese.   My minder in Beijing was a very smart young woman from the Department of Party History who accompanied me to all the sights.   I did manage to break away once and use a smattering of Mandarin to get a cab to an alley where I knew I could buy wall hangings with US dollars.

In Kunming the local television wanted to interview me about air pollution and my minder from the EU office in Beijing gave me the go ahead.  I was then confronted with statistics about air pollution in Greenwich.

The Chinese knew that I was interested in football and took me to look at training facilities used by the national team of which I was critical.  Probably coincidence, but I wss watching national television one evening and there was a feature on how Curbs and Keith Peacock worked together.   I might add that these days China National Radio calls me 'Whine' Grant.

The club was interested in the possibility of a tour in China and/or Japan, but Curbs wasn't keen.  I was asked to have a quiet word to brief him about the two countries.  I knew it was hopeless when he mentioned that the 'Emoress of China' had just had a baby.  He was a football genius (and he had his finances looked after very well), but currentt affairs was not his suit.





No comments: