Friday 21 September 2007

Back in touch

Brussels: it's Friday so it must be Brussels. After a major power failure in the avowedly modern city of Valencia cut off all Internet contact, I am now back on line in the 'capital' of the disintegrating country of Belgium, shortly to become a free city state and Brussels DC, capital of Europe.

It was a bit difficult to work out what was going on at the match against Norwich. 0-0 at half time looked like Norwich playing for a draw and, of course, it took two penalties to bring the points.

I was amused by Alan Pardew's remarks about Danny Mills 'playing on the edge' after former Chaventry City ace Dion Dublin was sent off. I like Mills as a player and I think that defenders do sometimes have to be tough, e.g., Jorge Costa. Also, the picture of Mills and myself in my office now has some point again.

Sitting in Pizza Hut in North Greenwich on Wednesday evening, I was able to get some information from the papers, more from the free ones than from the Sub-Standard. It seems that Pards has admitted that he is playing a 'squad' system and that Paddy McCarthy has been advised that he has to fight for his place. That is as it should be.

The news from Chelsea was a shock as I left Greenwich yesterday morning and I think that English football will be less colourful as a result. I have been greatly amused by the plight of Palace and the likely fate of their manager. The Orange One must be turning puce.

I have to go to a power breakfast now: I get the breakfast and the other person has the power. I would like to express my thanks to Australia, Canada, Lithuania and the US for backing me in Valencia and helping me to win through, although I am now apparently an enemy of the Chilean people.

Match preview later when I return to the UK.

No comments: