Friday 26 October 2007

Match preview


Iain Dowie's saviour, Faye Tozer

My perception of football clubs tends to be influenced by where they were in the 1960s. So I always think of QPR as a third division (south) team, even though they had a period when they were riding high in the top flight. Of course, it is always possible that some day an often projected merger between Brentford, Fulham and the Super Hoops might produce a West London team. I hope not.

Fans who delight in reading the next result off the last one (or two) are forecasting a home defeat tomorrow, but I am (somewhat rashly) going with Killer's prediction of 2-0. After all, we will have Lloyd Sam back and I am predicting that both goals will come from midfield.

If you want to feel really gloomy, then try being a Coventry fan. The club is hovering on the brink of administration and a campaign by the Coventry Evening Telegraph which has now enrolled a relatively unknown actress who once played Lady Godiva failed to boost attendances at the Ricoh earlier in the week (just over 17,000 to see the Sly Blues play Watford).

Midlands Today interviewed me in my office yesterday, possibly to be shown tonight, in the hope that I could offer a few words of comfort to Iain Dowie. Although they may be in for a bumpy few months, I think that Coventry will survive as a club. But it reminds us how quickly things can go badly wrong.

No comments: