Friday 9 November 2007

Scots wha hae

Charlton striker Chris Iwelumo will be trying out his kilt and sporran after he was called up for Scotland. The forward has been selected for a Scotland B friendly against the Republic of Ireland later this month, revealed the club's E mail bulletin.

'It's great news, because I've always wanted to represent my country,' said Big Chris. 'I have been called up for the B side before, when I was at Stoke City, but I wasn't allowed to join up with the squad because we were in the semi-finals of the play-offs at the time. Now I've got another chance, and I want to make the most of it.'

The Tennents B International Challenge match takes place at the Excelsior Stadium, Airdre (a modern stadium), on Tuesday, November 20th (7.45pm). B internationals were once more common than they are now, but are a good way of taking a look at promising talent.

The Bulletin also revealed that Iwelumo is currently playing with a broken hand and sustained a black eye, still sore, through his goal at Southampton.

No comments: