Tuesday, 28 September 2010

Benson opens his account

Charlton did not start that strongly against MK Dons at The Valley tonight and the visitors had much of the early possession reports Philippa Nicholson. The first attempt on goal by the Addicks came from Semedo on 23 minutes. His shot was spilled by Martin, but no Charlton player was able to take advantage.

MK Dons won the first corner of the match just after the half hour point, but Francis cleared up the pitch. Martin advanced on goal, but he was fouled and Danny Woodard was given the yellow card, although he was the last man and should have been given the red. The free kick was 25 yards out just to the left of the 'D'. Jackson's effort went into the wall, but there were appeals for handball. The referee deemed it was ball to hand.

MK Dons were given a free kick inside the 'D'. The wall had to assemble on the penalty spot. The effort went over the crossbar.

Jackson combined well with Lee Martin, but angle was tight and the keeper went down to save. Francis put in a great cross, Benson got his head to it and the ball went just wide of the post. Chadwick went down after blocking a cross from Francis.

The corner was delayed with the doctor coming on. Jackson's effort led to a second, taken by Francis.

Although it became a little livelier in the last quarter of an hour, it was a subdued first half at The Valley.

Addicks 0, Franchisees 0

Charlton won an early corner after Martin advanced. Doherty's first touch in defence was not good, but Francis cleared. The visitors headed over after a free kick.

Fry went down and needed treatment while MK Dons made a substitution with much travelled journeyman Jermaine Easter coming on up front.

Benson won a corner for Charlton, but it was unproductive. A ball in by Francis after a spell of good possession led to another corner, but it led to a goal kick. MK Dons won a corner off Fry, leading to a second and then a third. This one was more dangerous and Worner did well to stop it going in.

Worner spilled the ball after a free kick and a corner was conceded. The visitors kept up the pressure, but eventually led to an offside decision. The quiet Wagstaff was taken off and replaced by Pawel Abbott returning from injury, Martin moving back on the right hand side where he could be more creative.

Benson advanced, it looked as if he was fouled, but the referee allowed play to continue. Racon headed just wide after Charlton advanced. Jackson came off and was replaced by Reid.

Fortune put the ball over from a free kick. MK Dons won a corner, but the defence dealt with it. The visitors brought on Carrington to replace the veteran Hamann. Benson had a shot on target, but it was weak and easily saved.

Reid advanced, put in a great cross and Benson slid the ball in to make it 1-0. Reid made another run, but Woodard blocked the ball. Three minutes were added on. Martin had to save from Martin. Fry did well as the visitors advanced.

1-0 to the Charlton, a useful three points.

No comments: