Saturday 1 December 2012

Charlton secure draw at Millwall

Millwall's winning run ended with a 0-0 draw with Charlton at the New Den. The Addicks slipped to 14th in the table, but are nearer the play off places than the relegation zone. The Addicks are now undefeated in six games.

Fuller had not recovered from the hamstring strain he had suffered on Tuesday and Hulse and Kermorgant started up front. Dervitte replaced the suspended Morrison in central defence. Stephens replaced Frimpong who dropped to the bench.

The Addicks made the slightly better start but the home side started to knock on the door with Chris Taylor having a header and a shot go wide. Millwall went closest when Liam Feeney burst past Seaborne and turned Andy Keogh’s chip across the face of goal and wide. Chris Wood then was the next Spanners player to test Charlton goalkeeper Hamer but his weak effort was comfortably dealt with. Kermorgant flicked the ball into the path of Hulse whose shot was blocked by Josh Wright.

Hulse's left footed volley from a narrow angle flashed wide after 27 minutes. Former Addick Josh Wright put more pressure on his old club with his control and volley going just over the bar with 10 minutes remaining in the opening period. Feeney should have done much better with his effort three minutes before half time, blazing the ball high and over the bar into the upper tier of the Charlton fans.

The second half started just like the first with the Addicks having the better of the opening exchanges. Abdou should have done better midway through the second half but he fired his shot well over the bar.

Charlton put the pressure on, winning a corner, but Millwall counterattacked with Hamer tipping Keogh’s shot over the crossbar and Adam Smith headed over from the resulting corner.

Millwall then had two golden opportunities to take the lead as the match entered its closing stages. Wood nearly broke the deadlock when Taylor capitalised on a loose ball with Johnnie Jackson making the important block. From the corner Danny N’Guessan, on as a second half substitute for Feeney, had his header cleared off the line by Chris Solly. Wright-Phillips was introduced nine minutes from the end of the game.

The Spanners continued to knock on the door but were unable to breach the defence and Hamer stood strong in his goal.

No comments: