Friday 15 April 2016

Playing Derby in the Premier League

Happier times at Charlton

Doing some tidying up recently, I came across a set of my match reports from the 2001-01 Premier League season. I will be revisiting some of the more exciting matches over the summer in order to recall better times.

I start today with our two games against Derby County. We went up to Pride Park in early September with commentators suggesting that Charlton were too good for Division 1 and not good enough for the Premiership. In those days we had a Warwick & Leamington banner and when Deano came over to sign autographs, the local lad saw us and gave us a wave.

'After a largely dire first half for Charlton marked by what Curbs later called "terrible defending" which left them 2-0 behind to a rampant Derby, decisive action by the manager at half time turned the game around, leaving the Addicks with a morale boosting away point.'

'The well below par Robinson and the inconsistent Kishishev were brought off to replace by Konchesky and Lisbie whose pace helped to transform the game. And it was two of Curbs's foreign signings, Jensen and Johansson, who scored the goals that brought the Addicks level.'

On 57 minutes Lisbie counter attacked from a Derby corner. His pace outwitted the Derby defence, Jensen laid off the ball to Johansson who returned it, allowing the Dane to tap it into the back of the net. Johansson then tore through the Derby defence on 62 minutes to equalise.

Derby thought they were denied a penalty when Eranio went down in the box and got a yellow card for simulation. Curbs admitted afterwards that his players thought they were lucky.

The return evening fixture gave Alan Curbishley his 200th win as Charlton manager. Svensson put Charlton ahead from a corner. Derby then equalised through a 30 yard free kick. A penalty was then awarded just before half time, Deano receiving a yellow card. He made the save, but injured himself in the process. At half time he was replaced by Tony Caig who made his only appearance as a Charlton keeper (a quiz question there).

In the second half, Jensen went on a sixty yard run. His shot was blocked, but Scott Parker was able to put the ball into an unguarded net to make the final score 2-1, Caig standing firm.

Caig joined Hibernian later in the year and had a varied career. He is currently goalkeeping coach for Hartlepool United.

No comments: