Tuesday, 3 December 2013

Late fightback does not save Addicks from defeat

Cedric Evina was brought in for the game at Reading in place of Johnnie Jackson to provide a more natural left-sided player. The 836 Addickted made plenty of noise as the game started with chants of ‘Red Army’. Pogrebynyak posed an early danger, but Dale Stephens was able to cover for Charlton.

A Reading counter attack led to their first corner. The header from Gorkss came off a Charlton defender for a second corner which led to a goal kick. The Addickted started a vigorous chorus of ‘Valley Floyd Road’. Stephens set up Church well but the cross from Evina went out of play. Church went down in the area and the referee took a long look before deciding against a penalty. There was little protest from the Charlton players at the decision.

Evina and Wiggins were combining well on the left. The ball broke to the edge of the penalty area after Stephens lost possession in midfield and Reading went ahead after 14 minutes through a low effort drilled past Alnwick by the green booted Sharp scoring his first goal for the Royals.

Cousins advanced well, but suffered from a marginal offside decision. Pogrebynyak had an effort from 35 yards, but Alnwick dealt with it. The Reading forwards were getting too much space. For the Addicks, Stewart was not getting much of the ball at this stage of the game.

Kelly got a yellow card for a foul on Evina. Charlton had a good build up with an excellent ball from Cousins, but Stewart’s cross was claimed by the keeper. Stewart then picked up the ball from deep and ran at the Reading players.

Reading won a corner from one of their speedy counter attacks, but it was unproductive. Evina was fouled and required treatment. A free kick was awarded against Church when he was fouled first. Stephens had a try from the edge of the area but the ball went well over.

Church had an opportunity in the three minutes added on after an excellent flick from Dale Stephens, and a through ball by Cousins, but the ball was put out for a corner by McCarthy in the Reading goal. The corner was a good one and the keeper had to stretch to claim it.

Half time: Royals 1, Addicks 0

Reading hit the post just after the break after McCleary got the better of Wiggins.

Stephens shot from distance, but it went wide. Reading applied some pressure and looked threatening. The home fans livened up a bit after being quiet despite being listed as 13 on the team sheet.

Stewart won a corner for Charlton, but a free kick was awarded for a foul on the keeper. Wiggins made a rash challenge on Sharp, but did not receive a card. The free kick went straight to Alnwick.

Wiggins put in a hit and hope ball when he should have put it out to Evina on the left who could have put in a cross.

The tempo was increasing, but both sides were making more mistakes. Akpan came on for Reading in place of Williams. Then Robson-Kanu came on in place of Sharp. A free kick was awarded on the edge of the box to the Addicks. The ball was headed away for a corner. Charlton made a triple substitution with Sordell replacing Church, Green replacing Stephens and Jackson replacing Evina. Stewart moved to the left.

Green and Sordell linked up and Gorkss received a card for a foul on Green. The ball drifted out wide from Green’s delivery. Gorkss committed a cynical foul, but didn’t even get a word. Reading counter attacked, but Alnwick gathered the ball.

Charlton applied some pressure, but the final quality was lacking. A shot by Wiggins went off the offside Sordell. Charlton were asking some questions of Reading. The ball was cleared after a Charlton corner.

Charlton won a corner through Green which led to a second. In the ensuing play there was panic defending by Reading, but the throw in was given to Reading when it was clearly a Charlton throw. Jackson dragged a shot wide.

Wilson and Green combined well on the right. Wilson defended well against the counter attack. An effort by Wiggins was blocked for a corner.

Reading had a chance, but dragged the shot across the goal. The home side made their third substitution. An effort from Danny Green from 25 yards out went over when he should have passed the ball.

Charlton’s late fight back had been fruitless. The quality up front was not there.

No comments: