Saturday, 26 September 2015

Five minutes of hope

Charlton kicked off at the Cardiff City stadium, reports Welsh Addick Deiniol Jones. The Addicks were under some early pressure. Pope had to palm away a shot. A corner was then conceded after five minutes. A header from Morrison that going in the net was cleared off the line by Cousins who appeared from nowhere. A second corner followed. Kenwyn Jones missed an open goal and put it in the side netting while the Charlton defence were at sixes and sevens.

Kenwyne Jones won a free kick for Cardiff 25-30 yards out. The Addicks were under the cosh. Charlton tried to work their way out of defence. The Bluebirds were enjoying a lot of space in midfield, putting the Addicks under pressure. They were too deep.

Charlton defended well as Cardiff threatened again with good work by Bauer. After good work by Cousins combining with Kashi Charlton’s first corner was won by Gudmundsson. Kenwyn Jones managed to head clear. The Addicks continued with some good pressure after Cardiff had been the dominant force for quarter of an hour. They looked nervous when Charlton attacked.

Nick Pope made a good save but the Bluebirds were offside anyway. Tony Watt had a half chance, but was unable to make use of it. For once he tried to be too unselfish, looking for Kashi.

Cardiff had a corner on 27 minutes in front of the Addickted. Fox jumped well. The ball went over the crossbar.

Good work by Kennedy found Cousins, but to no effect. A shot was blocked by Bauer after an error by Cousins.

Tony Watt looked as if he had the goal at his mercy but the keeper made a great save. It followed excellent work by Bergdich.

Sarr defended well. Cousins made a run, but was unable to find Tony Watt.

A Cardiff handball was discounted by the referee and Cardiff were given a corner. Pope punched clear. Mason dived and was given a yellow card for simulation as Pope came out of his goal. There were fears it could have been a penalty and a red card which would have meant game over. Fox gave Mason a mouthful.

One minute was added on. Charlton had survived and got into the game more after the opening period.

HT: Bluebirds 0, Addicks 0

Bergdich came off and Ahearne-Grant came on. Sarr got an early booking. The free kick was put inches wide of the Charlton left-hand post.

Ahearne-Grant opened the scoring after superb work by Watt.

The crowd claimed that there was a handball against Kashi, but the referee wasn’t having any.

Cardiff equalised through Mason on 52 minutes from the six yard box, although there was a suspicion that he controlled the ball with his hand. Solly made this point to the referee.

Cardiff won a corner on 56 minutes. It looked dangerous, but the shot was blocked. On 58 minutes McAleny replaced Kennedy.

A good move by Charlton involving Cousins ended in two saves by the keeper at the expense of a Charlton corner. A second corner followed. Fox kept the ball in after a Sarr header. Cardiff got possession back, but Solly dealt with the situation well.

Bauer conceded a corner on 66 minutes. Fox cleared with a good header.

Cardiff brought on Ameobi in place of Kenwyne Jones.

Cardiff won a corner off Cousins from a shot by Ameobi. Cardiff won another corner. Sarr blocked well, but Cardiff still had the ball. Noone replaced Pilkington.

Cardiff won another corner conceded by Solly and took the lead through a header from the unmarked Morrison. Charlton seemed to lose belief.

An attempt by McAleny on 84 minutes was high and wide.

Moussa came on in place of Kashi, a long awaited event.

Tony Watt had a free header, but put it wide.

Four minutes were added on. Charlton were not able to make use of them.

Wyn Grant adds: Possession was 51-49 in favour of Cardiff. Charlton had seven shots on target and Cardiff six. The Addicks are 17th.

In so far as one can tell anything from the short coverage allowed us by Channel 5, our defending for the equaliser looked woeful, no coordination in the defence. When we get a lead, we need to hang on to it.

No comments: