Friday 20 December 2019

Going through the Hoops

I manage to get on well with people with different political and religious views from myself, for example last night I had a convivial drink with two GBD ladies (no, it's not a few form of sexual practice, although doubtless Bozza could give us a few tips). I even tolerate republicans although I read the Court Circular every day.

People supporting football clubs that are rivals can be more challenging. For nearly forty years, I have known a Palace fan, indeed I have written books and articles with him. As one might expect, he doesn't know much about football. He is really an egg chaser but tries to wind me up with old jokes about Charlton like the 'Charlton nil' one.

Perhaps surprisingly, I do have a bit of an issue with the Super Hoops. I did have one friend who was a genuine supporter, but fortunately he moved to Brighton and became a Seagull. They are one of my favourite other teams, given their rivalry with Palace and links with Charlton. I think I have more of an issue with Palace than Millwall for a number of reasons.

But today we are talking about QPR. First, I can't stand their ground at Loft**** Road (I know it has been renamed for reasons that we should all support). It looks like a ground that a youngster would have built before Lego with shoe boxes placed on their side. The stewards are unfriendly. I know they want a new stadium, but Brentford have beaten them to it.

Most fans have an exaggerated sense of the standing of their own club. For example, Sheffield Wednesday fans think they are massive and should be permanent members of the top flight. QPR always seem like a third division south side to me. Indeed, we played them 20 times in that benighted competition before Jimmy Seed rescued us.

Yet they clearly think they are big time Charlies. When they were taken over, one QPR fan said in a vox pop: 'The issue in Europe in five years' time will be whether Real Madrid or QPR will be the biggest club.'

My real problem dates from a Division One clash on 4th October 1997. I was there to see the Addicks win 4-2. QPR fans then started saying that what they needed was a good young manager like Alan Curbishley. He would surely prefer to manage a big club like QPR rather than a small one like Charlton.

I haven't been able to fact check this, but I am pretty sure that the QPR board made an approach. Whether or not Murray Mints offered Curbs an extra £10 a week to stay, I don't know. But stay he did to lead us up to the top flight.

No comments: