Tuesday 17 December 2019

Juventus forward: I loved playing for Charlton

32-year old Eni Aluko was the top scorer for Juventus in her first season there. The former England player has a first class degree in Law from Brunel University But she loved her time at Charlton she told Four Four Two.

She was asked, 'You signed for Charlton in 2004 and actually received a fee to play. How did that feel?' She replied, 'At Birmingham I was paying to play, but then suddenly I was at Charlton and getting paid £100 a game. I could go out and buy myself some new trainers. It was a massive shift, not just professionally but personally too. I was travelling to London at least twice a week at the age of 16 and sometimes getting the last train back. I had to grow up pretty quickly.'

'After I had been at Charlton for three years, the women's team folded because the men's side got relegated from the Premier League. [I think there was a bit more to it than that]. Chelsea wanted to sign me and Casey Stoney. We both loved playing for Charlton and probably would have stayed if the team hadn't folded.'

I remember going to see the women's league cup final at Wycombe Wanderers. The Gooners thought it would be easy, but Charlton won. Eluko scored a superb goal. When it was shown at The Valley, even the Bloke Behind Me praised it.

No comments: