Wednesday 18 December 2019

Scilly sacking

My first live television appearance in 1962

After nearly 60 years of media work, I have got the sack for the first time. Actually, that is not strictly accurate. When commercial radio started in this country, I did work occasionally for BRMB in Birmingham.

When it first opened it was at least part Canadian owned and I sometimes worked with a Canadian who regarded himself as something of a shock jock in an attempt to stimulate calls. What we usually got was someone in a phone box in Kidderminster asking why Enoch Powell wasn't prime minister.

I got the heave ho after I commented in what I thought was an objective fashion on the then civil war in the Labour Party, but I was obviously too objective because complaints came in from both the left and the right.

At least I didn't make the same gaffe as the advice columnist on the air (who was a priest):

  • Yes, my son?
  • I am on New Street station and I've lost my job and my wife has left me and I am going to end it all.
  • We will we be right with you after the commercial break.
  • 'British Rail makes the going easy.' (I should say that someone on the station intervened).

Radio Scilly

Anyway, I have now been sacked by Radio Scilly as mainland football correspondent. For the avoidance of doubt, I wasn't actually sacked as I didn't have a contract of employment as I worked for free.

When the station was first set up, I used to contribute to the live sports show on a Friday evening which was presented by someone I knew who managed the airport. He has now moved to the mainland.

The loneliness of the island goalkeeper. The sports show presenter waits for some action.

However, the line kept going down so I switched to a pre-recorded Saturday morning slot. Earlier this year the fourth set of managers, largely from the mainland, took over. I was then asked to stop talking about up country teams, particularly from South London.

The Garrison Field stadium, home to the Garrison Gunners and Woolpack Wanderers

This was fair enough. The local two team league was covered by the permanent employee (who played for one of the teams). But as was pointed out this wasn't the competition that people were talking about in the pubs. They were discussing the Premier League and the Champions League.

In the last few months I have been focusing on Plymouth Argyle and Truro City and I now know more about these clubs than I would wish to know. Then in November the breakfast show presenter, whom I count as a friend, was made redundant. I was removed from the presenters' forum. Some of the other presenters have encouraged me to continue sending material, but it has not been downloaded for broadcasting.

In such a small community I know how easy it is to upset people. If you are seen talking to A, you may offend B. I would like to emphasise that I am not criticising the islander who has remained on the board of the radio station and will continue contributing to the magazine edited by his wife, also someone I regard as a friend.

Pastures new

I have told a new station that has just got its Ofcom licence that I would be happy to be their football correspondent. I have also decided to record occasional podcasts which will combine broader football news with a Charlton angle. I am working on one on China at the moment.

No comments: