Thursday 4 February 2021

Bowyer admits: my move for maverick didn't work

Besieged boss Lee Bowyer demands professionalism.   He admits that he took a gamble with Marcus Maddison and it didn't pay off: https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/i-demand-professionalism-charlton-boss-lee-bowyer-on-marcus-maddisons-bolton-loan/

For Bowyer's many critics, this will be grist to the mill.   When I had management responsibilities, I made some poor recruitment decisions, but I didn't face trial by social media.  I just had to live with the consequences.

I am by no means uncritical of Bowyer's decision-making.  I do agree with Curbs that a consistent team brings consistent results.  However, I do think that there is execsssive short termism in football and managerial turnover has increased far too much. 

The evidence of managerial changes turning things round is rather weak and anecdotal.   At least you have to be careful what you wish for.   It is too easy to appoint a dinosaur like Sam Allardyce and hope for a miracle which doesn't come.

No comments: