Wednesday 23 April 2008

Free season ticket offer repeated

From the E mail bulletin, hence the hyperbole (my comments in square brackets):

Charlton fans will get a second chance to receive a free Premier League season ticket, plc chairman Derek Chappell announced this afternoon. The club has decided to repeat last year's sensational [somehow it doesn't seem so sensational this year] offer to provide a season's top-flight football at no extra charge if the Addicks are promoted at the end of the 2008/09 campaign.

And Chappell promised that everyone at Charlton will be pulling out all the stops to make the free season ticket become a reality. [It's getting it right, not talking us up that matters: walk the walk, don't talk the talk]

'Our fans have been tremendous this season, which is reflected in the fact that we have recorded the highest attendances in the club's history outside the top division,' said Chappell. [Don't worry how dire the football is, they will turn up. Actually, some big away crowds must have helped]

'The manager, players, staff and directors are all determined to bring Premier League football back to The Valley, but we need everyone to play their part. [Does that mean we all have to start training?]

'The board felt that continuing the offer was the best way we could show our thanks to the supporters and encourage them to carry on their magnificent backing of the team next season.' [As Dave Roberts has said, do these people get out much? Is there some special sound insulation round the directors' box that stops them hearing the booing and the negative comments?]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I particularaly liked the coment"The board has agreed that there will be a wider range of adult match prices next season, with a top price of £30 in the most expensive season-ticket blocks of the east and west stands for the most attractive fixtures". Forgive me if I have missed something, but having witnessed one season in he Championship, I didn't think there were any "most attractive fixtures". There is bound to be a reduction in season ticket sales and I thought people would opt to buy match day tickets, but not at that price.

Wyn Grant said...

Thanks for this comment. As I am under the cosh at work, and as I am going to renew anyway (given the seriousness of my Addicktion) I hadn't read the details. Presumably the 'most attactive features' would be against sides likely to give us a pasting - certainly the case if we don't get our act together. I suppose in part it might be a way of justifying high prices to away fans - but they might then be less likely to come.

Kings Hill Addick said...

Wyn, I agree about the comments regarding the "magnificent backing of the team" but to be fair what else is he supposed to say? "I'm sick of the booing and I know you are all fed up with the team but please, please buy another season ticket as we need your money" just doesn't do it for me.

I'm at the point that we should give them all (Pardew, players and board members) the benefit of the doubt and see where we are by the end of October. You never know the team (with a few changes) might just gel and be top ot the table by then.

Really, they might.

Wyn Grant said...

I agree that these things are difficult to write, but the tone was jarringly gushing. Sometimes I would like a little less corporate speak and a bit downright honesty: 'we know it's been a bad season, but we think we can turn it round.' And I think they could. Realistically, we don't have another option anyway.