Tuesday 25 November 2008

New supremo makes his mark

Charlton 'caretaker' boss Phil Parkinson is already making his mark. The signing of Kevin Gillespie from Sheffield United took place at his instigation at 8 a.m. on Sunday. At least Parkinson recognises that crossing a ball is a key skill in football.

Now the club's E mail bulletin reports, 'After being named as Charlton's caretaker manager on Saturday evening, Phil Parkinson has moved quickly to stamp his authority on the Addicks by asking reserve-team boss Mark Kinsella and head scout Phil Chapple to be part of his first-team coaching set-up.' Phil Chapple will be remembered for his 'never say die' attitude at Charlton, once appearing back on the pitch at Ipswich with a massive bandage on his head after a collision with the Tractors keeper had seen him stretchered off. (We won 5-1 and some wurzel tried to give chase to me afterwards).

Parkinson revealed Chapple and Kinsella would be helping him out as he prepares to take charge of his first game at Queens Park Rangers tonight (8pm). 'I'm looking forward to it,' said Parkinson. 'I'm sad for Alan [Pardew] and what's happened but I'm prepared to take on the responsibility of turning this round and I think it's all important we all understand the seriousness of the position we're in.'

'I've bought Mark Kinsella and Phil Chapple into work at first-team level and I feel that's important as these are two people who understand this club more than anyone, and I want that to rub off on the lads.'

No comments: