Saturday, 9 October 2010

All square at full time

Charlton won their first corner after thirty seconds, but it was unproductive writes Paul May. A long Plymouth throw in went into the area, there was some confusion about the marking and their top scorer Bradley Wright-Phillips put the ball in the net at the far post to make it 1-0 to the Pilgrims after four minutes.

Elliot had to deal with a long-range shot at the expense of a corner. Charlton won a free kick in the ensuing play. Charlton won a second corner out of a long ball pumped forward. The ball was played back in and Fortune clutched his midriff after a downward header.

A poor Plymouth back pass had to be dealt with by a diving header by the keeper and led to a corner, but Jackson's effort was unproductive. A Plymouth header following a free kick went over the bar. The early goal had given the Pilgrims confidence.

Abbott flicked the ball to Wagstaff in the penalty area, but it bounced off Wagstaff's shins. Reid put in a decent cross, but Charlton were unable to take advantage. Wagstaff should not have whacked the ball which went beyond Benson.

A Plymouth attack was dealt with by Dailly, but Charlton were unable to counter attack. Reid put in a good cross, but Benson was unable to connect.

Plymouth won their second corner which went to the far post, Plymouth were given a free header, Elliot scrambled it off the line and Wagstaff partially cleared. Once again the marking was poor.

Benson ran on to a loose ball, got in between two Plymouth defenders and put the ball in the back of the net to make it 1-1.

Plymouth put in another long throw in and won a free header, but it went over. Johnson fell awkwardly and had to be stretchered off in some pain. Parrett replaced him.

Charlton won another corner. Eventually the ball was cleared, but Wright-Phillips was down in a heap, and Wagstaff also needed some attention after a collision. Five minutes of time were added on. Charlton kept up the pressure and won another corner, but it was unproductive.

Half time: Pilgrims 1, Addicks 1

Lee Martin came on to replace Wagstaff. Jackson was shown a yellow card for a badly timed challenge. Lee Martin was lively in the opening minutes and Charlton won a corner. Doherty took away the ball from Jackson and gave Plymouth a chance to counter attack.

Dailly advanced but Benson could only put his header on the roof of the net. Martin put in a cross, Arnason stuck a leg out and the ball hit the post, Larrieu just managing to scramble it clear. Martin put in a cross, Abbott got his header on target, but Larrieu saved. Larrieu had to save well as Martin tried to score.

Benson had a free header from the corner but it drifted well wide. Charlton had a good spell, but then the tempo slowed again. Plymouth put in a shot which Elliot initially spilled.

Jackson cleared well from a Molyneux cross. Reid received a harsh challenge from Stephens. Martin had his legs taken away from him by Molyneux who kicked the ball away. The free kick just drifted beyond Doherty at the far post. Reid broke away well but ran into Ngala.

Racon and Semedo were coming into the game more and getting the ball into wide areas.
Plymouth took off the 16-year old Stephens who was on a yellow card and could not cope with Kyel Reid.

Plymouth put in an unstoppable shot through their substitute Bolasie from 25 yards out to go 2-1 ahead. Martin complained about one of the challenges beforehand and got a yellow card.

Charlton had been the better team in the second half, but they were unable to score.
A Plymouth corner kick was gathered by Elliot. Abbott came off and was replaced by Anyinsah..

A move was started by Semedo, Doherty made a clever back header and Benson tapped the ball in to make it 2-2. Five minutes of time were added on. Reid went down. Benson got caught on the back of his head.

Charlton deserved a share of the spoils. The Addicks slipped down the table, but were still just one point off the play off places. It's also encouraging that Benson found the back of the net twice.

No comments: