Saturday, 2 February 2013

A game of two halves

Charlton dominated the first half against Palace today securing a 1-0 lead which they retained for an hour, but at the break the home side brought on the 39-year old Kevin Phillips and switched to 4-4-2. They took charge of the game and, just as last Saturday, the Addicks saw a 1-0 lead turn into a 2-1 defeat.

Charlton won an early corner taken by Jackson following a cross by Dervitte, reports Paul May, Morrison put in a powerful header but it went over the bar. An attempt by Wilson was blocked by Delaney. Palace counter attacked and Solly put in a brilliant, sliding tackle. Fuller put in a very optimistic attempt from 40 yards out.

Fuller was making a nuisance of himself. Bolasie put the ball straight at Hamer. Charlton won their second corner of the game, some of the Palace fans directed pleasantries at Jackson. Bolasie lunged at Wagstaff and conceded a free kick. Charlton kept up the pressure and were looking dangerous. Fuller got beyond Ramage with a body swerve and put the ball through Speroni’s legs to make it 1-0 to the Addicks.

Hamer dealt comfortably with a Palace free kick. He then had to deal with another desperate delivery from a free kick. Dervitte won the ball off Zaha well, but was not able to turn provider for Fuller. Zaha was being snuffed out. Hamer got into trouble with a cross from Richards as he clattered into Cort. Charlton seemed to be winning every 50-50 and second ball as the home fans showed some frustration. The Addicks won another corner as Solly whipped in a cross. A free kick was awarded to Palace from the corner.

<>Charlton won another corner after good work by Pritchard. Speroni palmed the ball into the path of Cort but it went on to the roof of the net from two yards out. Pritchard was fouled by Zaha and won a free kick.

Pritchard got beyond two challenges, but Jackson’s shot was well saved by Speroni. Wilson turned provider for Jackson but his header drifted just wide of the left-hand post. It was a chance to score. Solly went down injured in a Palace attack.

Dervitte was providing good protection for Charlton. One minute was added on, Palace having asked the fourth official if they could get in early. Some of the Palace fans had a go at Holloway after a half in which Charlton had been very much in charge.

HT: 0-1

Kevin Phillips was brought on for his Palace debut to replace Butterfield and give more of an attacking threat. With Speroni off his line, Dervitte made a run and had a go. Speroni gathered from a Jackson free kick.

Zaha curled the ball just wide after Phillips put the ball into his path to give Palace their first real opportunity. Pritchard and Wagstaff managed to get control of the ball from Zaha.

A free kick was awarded against Wagstaff for a foul on Zaha. It was headed away. A curling shot from Fuller was tipped over the bar by Speroni. The short corner ended in an offside decision. Palace exerted pressure from the subsequent attack and Solly had to concede a corner. Wilson was able to clear. The ball came back in and a shot from Phillips was saved by Hamer who collected the ball from the corner.

Zaha got away from Morrison, but the move ended in a goal kick for the Addicks. Charlton won a corner. Palace prepared to make a double attacking change. Williams and Dobbie came on. Evina won a free kick off Zaha to the annoyance of the home fans.

Referee Mark Halsey had a word with Fuller and Williams. Wagstaff was taken off and replaced by Wiggins, making his return after his long absence following his injury in the home game against Palace.

Following a free kick, Moxey put the ball in the path of Murray who equalised for Palace with 16 minutes to go.

Hamer had to tip a drive over his bar. Murray made it 2-1, driving the ball into the roof of the net leaving Hamer with no chance. Chris Powell made his changes with Haynes and Kermorgant coming on, but perhaps they should have made earlier, as was the case against Sheffield Wednesday. Palace won a corner. Cort was able to scoop the ball away.

Charlton won a corner. Speroni punched the ball away from Pritchard’s corner. Speroni blocked an effort made by Pritchard from 12 yards out. Haynes was caught offside.

Four minutes were added on. Murray had a chance of the hat trick but he put it wide. Palace won a late corner and achieved the double over the Addicks.


Geoff said...

We have a tendency to defend further and further back when in the lead. Whether this on CP's orders or just the team's inclination, somebody needs to do something about it.

Jack said...

Clearly all the messages coming out from the club are about establishing ourselves as a Championship club. SCP will want to win every game and that's clear by his and his teams reactions, it does seem that he is still trying to find his best team and still perhaps trying to identify those he doesn't want. We're nearly there in terms of the side, but thought on Saturday I'd have started with Stephens (unless he's injured or had a knock)and brought on Dervite to sure things up. Still think Green has something to offer, not the best defensively but can whip in a good cross. Not too despondent yet.