I am puzzled that some fans are asserting we are already relegated given that 20th is not a relegation position, nor are Charlton in a relegation position in the form table. Middlesbrough are claiming they will 'do a Charlton' at Forest on Monday, but I am sceptical. Even if they win, the Addicks would still not be in a relegation place.
Against that, yesterday's performance was woeful but with Charlton it is always difficult to read off the next result from the preceding game. Clearly, the game against Middlesbrough next Saturday is another crucial one. Well, they all are from now on. With the smallest budget in the Championship, Charlton were always at risk.
Desmond from Deal has challenged me to publish the ratings and comments from the Football League Paper this morning, so here are the 'best' and the worst:
- Jason Pearce 6 'Made several telling interventions, before crumbling under late assault.' [It was ever thus].
- Alfie Doughty 6 'Did a decent job of keeping Willock away from the box. Passed well too.' [Dismissed as National League standard on social media].
- Dillon Phillips 5 'Exposed for the opener and kept his side in it with great save from Willock'.
- George Lapslie 4 'Careless passes gifted Terriers the opener. Never recovered confidence.'
- Erhun Otzumer 4 'Offered little either side of the diamond and got the hook at half time.' [We should give the diamond the hook and revert to 4-4-2].
As for Lyle Taylor he was 'forced to scrap and forage for lack of forward support. No sight of goal.' Andre Green 'committed several needless fouls and final ball was poor.'