Friday 4 January 2008

Do we want a cup run?

Reading's Dave Kitson has stirred up some controversy with his remarks about the FA Cup:

'We are not going to win the FA Cup and I do not give two s***s about it, to be honest,' was Kitson's pithy observation ahead of Reading's third round meeting with Tottenham.

'I care about staying in the Premier League, as does everybody at this club. Our Premier League status is not protected by winning the FA Cup and it is as simple as that.'

In the past I have faithfully turned out for home cup ties even when Charlton have faced lower league opposition, sometimes sponsoring the match or the match ball. But I won't be going tomorrow.

Why? A secondary reason is that there are no trains into Marylebone, making a long journey even longer. Also, I saw us turned over by the Baggies a few weeks ago. OK, there may be a few changes in the line up tomorrow, Dickson coming off the bench, a start for Youga and Mouto2, but not enough to stimulate my appetite.

However, the real reason is that I am not sure we need a cup run (remember that for us a 'run' means getting to the fifth or sixth round). Of course, 'concentrating on the league' has a rather hollow sound after our recent performances. But there is still time to pull it all together. We may not be very good, but neither are most of the other teams, as is reflected in the way in which our indifferent run has not changed our position in the table.

The one plus would be that it would give the club some much needed funds. Our poor cup performances last year cost us £1.5m. But the money wouldn't be available for use in the transfer window anyway and often the value in the January window is poor.

It's been looking recently as if I have been copying Killer's forecasts, but I agree with him that a draw is the most likely outcome tomorrow (in which case I will try and get to the replay at The Hawthorns). But I am favouring a 2-2 draw rather than 1-1.

And remember - this will be the only Charlton site bringing you coverage of Leamington's game against Barton Rovers tomorrow.

No comments: