Monday 7 January 2008

Posh draw

Should Charlton be able to beat West Brom at The Hawthorns (by no means impossible) they will be away to Peterborough United, managed by Darren Ferguson, in the 4th round of the FA Cup. The inimitable Barry Fry is the owner and 'director of football'.

Posh manager Darren Ferguson was happy with the draw, saying: 'We fancy our chances and it will be a good football match.'

Initial feedback from Posh fans is that either West Brom or Charlton should be beatable on the day, but they prefer Charlton, particularly as Aaron McLean could then 'show them what he is all about.'

I can't remember when we last played the Posh, but it must be some time ago.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a feeling it was the last game of a season in the mid-90s, with Garry Nelson getting a hat-trick in a 5-1 win. Ring any bells?

Wyn Grant said...

I wasn't there as I have never been to Peterborough with the Addicks. I will have to check the records.

ChicagoAddick said...

It was in November 1993 - Nelson scored in a 1-0 win, think I was there.

Anonymous said...

Agree with Mike, I think it was the first game I took my son to when he was 7 (now 21). Nelson played a blinder and scored three good goals. At the time, the first Charlton player to score a hatrick in donkeys years.

Wyn Grant said...

I can confirm that it was 0-1 on 20 November 1993, Nelson in the 64th minute, attendance 6,273. The previous season we drew 1-1.

Anonymous said...

Wyn,
You said you couldn't remember when we last played the Posh - you didn't say at which ground!
The last league meeting was in the old Div.1 on 23/4/94, with Charlton running out 5-1 winners.
Peterborough were relegated that season.