Saturday, 3 January 2009

Shelvey puts Charlton ahead - for a while

There was a start for Jonjo Shelvey in Charlton's cup game against Norwich at The Valley this afternoon, while fans' favourite Moutaoukil slotted in at right back, reports Tom Hobbes. With Hudson nursing an injury in the form of a swollen ankle, Matt Holland slotted in at centre back while Burton was up front with support from Bouazza and Shelvey in the hole behind the striker. Rob Elliott had overcome his injury worries to stay in goal while transfer speculation surrounded Weaver, one of the Charlton players still apparently on Premiership wages. There had had to be a pitch inspection earlier and one time it looked fifty-fifty whether the game would go ahead. It did and the attendance was 12,615.

The pitch announcer reminded us that 'This is The Valley' in case anyone thought we had already started ground sharing with Ebbsfleet. The two teams changed ends with Norwich playing towards the away fans in the Jimmy Seed Stand. Norwich were resplendent in the 1959 kit that saw them get to the semi-final of the FA Cup. The Charlton players wore black armbands in memory of Sailor Brown.

Basey took the first corner of the afternoon for Charlton, culminating in a left footed shot from Lloyd Sam which went over the crossbar. Norwich won their first corner in front of the large Norwich contingent. The ball was eventually cleared.

Charlton broke on the right and Marshall in the Norwich goal failed to gather, but the referee spotted an alleged infringement to the fury of Phil Parkinson. Bouazza put in a good ball, but it was deflected by Burton wide of the Norwich goal. Shelvey was showing some nice touches.

A Norwich corner was punched away by Elliott. Shelvey put Charlton ahead on 19 minutes, Bouazza having whipped the ball in from the left.

Elliott scuffed a ball badly to give Norwich an avoidable corner. Basey and Croft were engaged in quite a battle and the referee had a word.

Charlton broke with Shelvey prominent and won themselves a corner. The corner was taken by Shelvey. The ball was blocked, but Charlton kept up the pressure through Shelvey. The ball was eventually turned back to the keeper.

Fortune blocked the ball at the expense of a Norwich corner which was cleared by Fortune. Fortune was shoved and Elliott took the free kick.

Bouazza played a ball across the goal mouth. Shelvey and Sam were there, but could not make contact. Bouazza should have played it back to Shelvey who had Sam just behind it. Shelvey made his views clear to Bouazza. A header from Burton forced Marshall to tip the ball over the bar. The corner was unproductive and Norwich launched an attack. However, Fortune was able to clear and Sam made a racing run.

Fortune conceded a corner after Basey had been evaded. The corner was taken short.
Norwich kept up the pressure, but Semedo and Moutaoukil were eventually able to clear.

Norwich won a free kick about 30 yards out to the left hand side of the Charlton goal, but it was not taken well and was cleared by Fortune. Sam forged down the right, his effort went across the face of the goal and Bailey and Shelvey were only fractionally away from making it 2-0.

Half time: Addicks 1, Canaries 0

Norwich City made two substitutions at half time with Pattison making way for Hoolihan in midfield in what turned out to be a significant substitution. Drury brought down Burton and received a yellow card from the referee.

Marshall saved from Burton after a free kick by Holland had been turned goalwards by Bouazza. Bouazza tested Marshall again. Marshall saved from Burton after a superb pass by Fortune. Norwich broke from the Charlton corner, but Elliott was able to clear. A left footed ball from Hoolihan, once the object of Charlton interest, went not far wide.

A dubious corner was awarded by the referee against the decision of the linesman. The referee evened things up by awarding a free kick to Charlton. Bailey advanced, but the ball was well blocked. Russell tried a strike from distance which was not too far wide.

Moutaoukil won a corner for Charlton as the 60 minute mark approached, but Shelvey's effort was unproductive. Sam put in a powerful shot which went over the crossbar. Norwich made their third substitution with Russell being withdrawn.

Bouazza fed Burton but his shot was well wide. Holland challenged well in the penalty area. Norwich had a spell of possession with Hoolihan influential and the ball was practically walked into the net to make it 1-1, the substitute Lupoli scoring.

Burton was taken off and rather surprisingly replaced by Youga. Lupoli had another shot on goal. Norwich were awarded a free kick 25 yards out to the left of the D, but the ball went over the bar, leading to a corner. Elliott was able to collect at his near post and threw the ball out to Sam. Bertrand stopped Moutaoukil's run and went down injured. Shelvey went off to applause and was replaced by transfer listed Chris Dickson.

Charlton won a corner from a free kick. Basey took the corner, but it was unproductive. Hoolihan made a run. Dickson put a ball in from the left, but Bouazza was just in front of it. Sibierski fed Lupoli who put in a shot.

Three minutes of time were added on, but Charlton were unable to make any effective use of the time. Bouazza put a ball in, Drury blocked, but there was an appeal for a handball which was ignored by the referee.

Once again Charlton could not hold on to a lead.

The report from the Telegraph is here: Report


TootsCAFC said...

Thanks for the half time update. The bbc website and yahoo aren't running text commentaries

how was shelvey's goal scored - header?

FollowingthegameinqatarairportAddick said...

BBC text commentary is here Toots

Anonymous said...

I'm getting really fed up with Rod liddle's continual Charlton bashing in his column in The Sunday Times. He's done it again today . Its been nearly every week over the past month .
If it was Chelsea or Arsenal , he'd soon stop it for fear of a backlash and someone punching him when he's out !!
Any way , can we mobilise some kind of campaign against his childish ramblings , maybe we can all boycott buying the paper ?

Otherwarwickaddick said...

Weren't Brakes playing this Sat - sorry I am away on holiday and was depending on you, Wyn, for an update.


Wyn Grant said...

Barkes match was called off owing to frozen pitch. As for Rod Liddle, what do you expect from a Millwall fan?

Tom Green said...

Much improved performance - mainly thanks to Moots (how can he have been left out so much?!) and Shelvey (playing in a Gerrard role behind the striker). Lots of chances in first half. Should have been out of sight.