Saturday, 13 November 2010

The old five

Anyinsah starts up front with Benson and Abbott returns to the bench. Wagstaff gets a start and Dailly starts in central defence in place of Fortune reports our man at the match, Erith's Paul May. McCormack is dropped, as is Martin. Elliot was back in the pink top after wearing yellow at Southend. Around 1,500 Addickted were there.

Jackson had an early shot from just inside the penalty area. It was on target, but was saved by lippy keeper Joe Lewis. Wagstaff and Francis combined in attack. A ball in by Wagstaff was blocked by Nyatanga. Anyinsah was looking lively.

Mackall-Smith turned provider for McLean who shot from 20 yards out, but Elliot got down to collect. Wagstaff tried a strike, Lewis got a finger tip and was assisted by the woodwork. The ball bounced back into play and the keeper was able to collect.

Benson got his head to a ball from Fry after the left back had worked well with Jackson, but it went wide. Peterborough broke quickly from a goal kick after a Charlton free kick by Jackson and a shot from Mackall-Smith forced a save from Elliot. The corner went out if play.

The Addicks conceded another corner taken by McCann, but it led to a Charlton goal kick. A foul was awarded against Racon. Great work by Anyinsah who held the ball up well, McCann brought down Wagstaff and a penalty was awarded. McCann only got a yellow, although he was the last man. Jackson took the spot kick well and Charlton went ahead on 14 minutes.

Anyinsah had picked up a knock and was hobbling quite badly. Charlton conceded a corner. Semedo cleared but it came back to Wesolowski who won a disputed corner after his shot went over the bar. The home side kept up the pressure, but eventually Elliot got hold of the ball.

Martin came on in place of the injured Anyinsah, a blow for the Addicks. An effort by Martin was saved by Lewis at his near post. Doherty cleared for a corner as McLean threatened. Benson got the ball away.

McCann fouled Martin, apparently unconcerned about his yellow card. Peterborough won a throw in near the corner flag after Dailly cleared. McLean made contact with a second throw in, but it went wide.

Lee Martin did some superb work and touched the ball to Racon who smashed it home to the left of Lewis to make it 2-0 to the Addicks after 25 minutes.

Elliot was in trouble with McLean advancing, but Fry cleared the danger for a corner.
McCann delivered his usual left-footed outswinger. Wagstaff outsmarted Tomlin.

Francis hoofed it forward after Tomlin advanced. Doherty shadowed McLean well. Dailly ushered Mackall-Smith out as he came forward. Peterborough conceded a corner. It was unproductive and Posh counter attacked, but Charlton got back and Francis made the block.

Wagstaff took the ball off Williams, fed Lee Martin, Benson went down, but Jackson picked up the ball and slammed it into the bottom right-hand corner to make it 3-0.

Johnnie Jackson made a great move, the keeper came out and Martin chipped it over him to make 4-0 as the boos rang out from the home fans.

Every Charlton touch was being cheered by the jubilant Addickted. McCann went down in the Charlton penalty area, but the referee waved play on.

The home side was awarded a free kick and Jackson felt the full force as a one man wall. A desperate long-range effort from Tomlin went well wide. The half-time whistle went and the boos rang out.

Half time: Posh 0, Addicks 4

Gary Johnson decided to use all three substitutions. Wesolowski was off as was Ryan 'Gordon' Bennett and Mackail-Smith. Hibbett came on up front, as did 19-year old midfielder Mendez-Lang on loan from Wolves. Davis also came on. Posh had changed to a more coventional 4-4-2 formation. Charlton were now playing towards their fans.

Peterborough got a corner off a shot from McCann, but Charlton won the ball. Lee Martin defended to stop a shot and then forged forward to put the keeper under pressure.

Wagstaff went down and stayed down, having landed badly. It was his right foot that was troubling him. Mendez-Lang went down twice, winning free kicks both times. Racon received a yellow card for kicking the ball away. Peterborough got another controversial free kick having appealed after the ball hit Paul Benson who was on a break. McCann put a left-footed free kick over the Charlton wall to make it 1-4 nine minutes into the half.

Scott Wagstaff was still looking very uncomfortable. Posh came forward again, but there were strong challenges from Dailly and Doherty. McCormack came on in place of Wagstaff on 55 minutes.

Peterborough advanced down the left, but Charlton won a free kick. Peterborough attacked again, but Racon blocked the ball. Francis went down injured following a challenge after he spotted a quick throw out from the keeper. He received treatment to his right shin. Francis came back on.

A run by Little down the right flank was dealt with by Dailly. Martin went on a run from the halfway line, jinked past Williams and loan player Nyatanga in trying to get the ball back to the keeper gave it to Lee Martin who scored his second with a tap in to make it 5-1 to the Addicks. This was an important goal because it halted the Peterborough come back.

Lewis injured himself in failing to stop the corner after Langmead put the ball out. Jackson's corner was ultimately unproductive.

Martin put in a decent effort from 20 yards out as he sought his hat trick. Peterborough won a rather doubtful corner. They kept up the pressure. Fry blocked for a throw in. McCormack played the ball forward, but loan player Williams got the ball for the home side.

Elliot fell awkwardly after he jumped for the ball. He was holding his right shoulder and seemed to be in some pain.

Benson advanced after a back flick from Martin, held up the ball and passed it to Semedo. Charlton kept possession until Doherty's ball forward went out of play. Perhaps Benson should have advanced on goal.

Elliott took a free kick and looked in better shape. McCormack lost possession, but a free kick was awarded against Hibbett after Dailly slipped over. The game was losing momentum as the last ten minutes of normal time approached. Semedo was dealing with any potential threat very effectively.

Dailly was down after Elliot punched the ball out, but he got back on his feet.

Lee Martin received a yellow card for a foul. Semedo received a yellow card for time wasting. Hibbett drew a save from Elliot. Semedo was taken off and Reid came on.

Four minutes were added on. Posh got a free kick in a potentially promising position to the right of the 'D'. McCann's shot went over the two man Charlton wall and into the side netting. Hibbett put in a shot on target after Reid was a little casual and Elliot went down to collect.

Posh's rabbit mascot, Peter Burrow, can go underground and perhaps Joe Lewis will be less lippy in the Peterborough Evening Telegraph next week.

Charlton are now 2nd in the table, occupying an automatic promotion place.

No comments: