Tuesday, 6 October 2009

Tuna puts Addicks ahead

Can we aspire to it?

Tamer Tuna and Izale McLeod are the attacking duo in tonight's 4-4-2 formation for the Johnstone's Paint match against Barnet, reports West Malling's Philippa Nicholson from The Valley. Wagstaff comes in for Lloyd Sam and Grant Basey replaces the ill Llera in central defence. Chris Solly gets a start in place of Frazer Richardson. Yado Mambo, Luke Holden and Alex Stavinrou feature on the bench, alongside Jonjo Shelvey and Darren Randolph.

Bailey fed a good ball to Tuna but he was unable to control it and it went to the keeper. McLeod put in a decent shot, it took a deflection and went over the bar and Charlton won a corner. The ball was cleared from the corner taken by Basey.

McLeod burst into the box, but Barnet defended well. An effort by Jake Hyde took a deflection giving them their first corner of the game. Charlton failed to clear, Bailey not covering himself with distinction, and O'Flynn scored for Barnet at the far post to put them 0-1 ahead.

Barnet's lead lasted four minutes. Izale McLeod had plenty of space to take a shot and, after a deflection, it went into the back of the net. Barnet boss Ian Hendon went ballistic and didn't recover for several minutes.

Jarrett put in a good cross and it was headed behind by Basey for a Barnet corner. The corner went wide at the far post.

Barnet appealed for a penalty after a challenge and might have had a case. Charlton won a corner at the other end which was unproductive.

A Jarrett cross was blocked by Solly at the expense of a corner. It looked dangerous, but Elliot was able to make the save. A shot from Spring went over the bar into the Barnet fans who contributed in their hundreds to the attendance of 4,522.

Solly was brought down by Jarrett and received a talking to from the referee. Tuna and McLeod combined well, but the Barnet keeper was able to come out and clear the ball for a throw in. Tuna put in a volley from a difficult angle and it went wide.

Wagstaff made a great run, he fed McLeod but his shot went over and in any case there was a Barnet free kick for a handball by the striker.

Basey started a move, Racon broke free, his effort was charged down but the ball fell to Tuna fourteen yards out and he put in a great shot with the outside of his right foot to make it 2-1 five minutes before the break.

Danger man Jarrett put in a good cross, but Youga was able to clear. Solly, being giving a torrid time by Jarrett, conceded a corner. Bailey managed to clear high into the air this time and Charlton broke. Racon burst through the centre of the field and played in Tuna, but Barnet keeper Jake Cole did well to make a stop in front of the striker.

An effort from Bailey went wide in time added on as it started to drizzle. Tamer burst through on the right and should have shot but he fed McLeod but his shot was poor.

Half time: Addicks 2, Bees 1

Bolasie on loan from Plymouth put in a shot and Elliot had to ball over for a corner which was played short. Eventually Youga was able to clear. Racon went into the box, but his shot was cleared.

Racon, having played his part, was taken off and replaced by Stavinrou. Mark Hughes was taken off and replaced by Tabiri. Tuna was replaced by Shelvey. The game was relatively quiet in the opening fifteen minutes of the half.

McLeod put in an awful effort from 25 yards out and put his head in his hands.

Charlton won a free kick 25 yards out after Stavinrou was brought down. Shelvey got it round the four man wall and way over. Mambo came on in place of Solly with Youga going to right back. This was a bit surprising as Solly had dealt better with Jarett in the second half.

Barnet won a corner off Youga. Bailey headed the ball away, it came back in but the move ended in a goal kick for Charlton.

The Addicks won a free kick 25 yards out after McLeod was brought down. Bailey hammered the ball into the corner of the net to make it 3-1 against his former side with fifteen minutes to go. A superb free kick.

Basey charged forward but his left footed effort was well wide.

Elliot fumbled the ball and Mambo had to get a foot to it in order to clear. McLeod burst into the penalty area, Shelvey showed excellent skill but Yakubu managed to get his body in the way with a possibility of handball to stop the fourth Addicks goal.

Mambo dealt with a Barnet cross with five minutes to go. Charlton counter attacked, Wagstaff stormed through, he had a defender alongside him, but his finish was superb to make it 4-1.

Four minutes of time were added on. Barnet won their seventh corner of the game. Bailey headed the ball away. It came back in, but Charlton cleared. McLeod was taken off with cramp, reducing Charlton to ten men. Barnet won a free kick and eventually Youga cleared.

Job done - and loads of free paint.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

perhaps this Paint drying trophy is to us what the Carling Cup is to Arsenal.