Saturday 9 April 2011

Bring on Oldham!

I've been in Madrid for the past couple of days and a Real Madrid fan wanted to share with me his low opinion of Chelsea and his wish to play Manchester United. I can't say I was that interested and I can't raise that much enthusiasm about this afternoon's fixture at Boundary Park against Oldham Athletic, a team also once in the Premiership and perhaps a salutary warning to Charlton.

Indeed, I am more focused on this afternoon's match at the New Windmill Ground when Leamington meet play-off rivals Chesham (supported by the New York Addick).

Oldham, currently managed by charm merchant Paul Dickov, are seeking to leave Boundary Park, although I am not clear why. Admittedly, it is not a glamour setting, but it provides sufficient accommodation for their supporters. The plans I have heard of would not involve financial gain but a swap of locations, but they have run into problems with the local authority and the Charity Commission. Even if they did move grounds, I can't see that it would stop many locals supporting one of the two Manchester clubs.

The latest issue of When Saturday Comes has a good two page photo feature on the return to The Valley with accompanying commentary. Nothing new there, but Tom Morris's photos look good. Incidentally, I have not seen him at The Valley for some time now.

My prediction for this afternoon is 2-2.

No comments: