Saturday, 5 January 2013

Charlton out of cup

Button replaced Hamer in goal, Taylor was brought in as captain, Cook made a start and Wright-Phillips and Kermorgant were up front for the cup tie against Huddersfield, reports Paul May from The Valley. Azeez was on the bench.

Huddersfield won an early corner which was readily cleared. On eight minutes they won their second corner, but Button was able to collect.

On eleven minutes the ball came in from the right and with the marking in the defence poor Jermaine Beckford was able to score at close range to make it 0-1.

Scott Arfield slid in on Evina and received a yellow card. The free kick from Stephens which had to be taken from a tight angle went out near the post. Huddersfield got their third corner, Button punched the ball away.

Charlton won their first corner after Smithies in the Huddersfield goal flapped at the ball, but the move ended in a free kick for the visitors. The referee had a word with Pritchard after he tackled Arfield. There was a bit of trouble between Garfield and Kermorgant and the referee had a word with both of them.

It was a rather scrappy game in front of a sparse and rather quiet crowd. Wright-Phillips did well to keep the ball in, but Gerrard intercepted his pass.

Wilson lost the ball, Scannell put the ball in the back of the net after the ball came back off Button but was judged to be offside. The Addickted started to make some noise.

The game went through another scrappy phase. The ball was up in the air a lot. Charlton were not creating anything in the last third. Vaughan forced a save from Button at the expense of a corner which was poor.

Pritchard was fouled by Vaughan who was shown a yellow card. Kerkar and Beckford had an exchange of views and were separated by Evina. It had been a poor display by Charlton.

HT 0-1

The track suited Powell was urging his players to get the ball out wide. Arfield fouled Kerkar and Charlton won a free kick 25 yards out, but it was unproductive. Huddersfield were awarded a rather dubious corner, leading to a second one. Button eventually collected.

Dervitte was sent off on 58 minutes for stopping Beckford as the last man. The free kick went over the crossbar. Cook was taken off so that Morrison could come on to shore up the defence as Charlton went 4-3-2.

Smithies had to stretch for a Kerkar free kick that went over the wall, the first save he had had to make on 62 minutes. There was a tight offside decision against Kermorgant.

Charlton stepped up a gear after the sending off. Morrison almost got his head to a Stephens free kick. Too many long balls were being sent up to Wright-Phillips. A free kick from Stephens was disappointing.

Bradley Pritchard, who had been troubling the Huddersfield defence, received a yellow card. Kerkar was taken off for Jackson and Wright-Phillips was replaced by Azeez. Charlton won a corner from a free kick. Smithies was able to gather.

Beckford came off and Novak came on. Azeez was pulled down by Hunt and the yellow card was shown. Dixon fouled Azeez. Jackson’s free kick was not productive. Four minutes were added on. The ball came to Kermorgant, but he couldn’t get the leverage to shoot. Huddersfield won a late corner. A Kermorgant header had no power on it.

No comments: