Tuesday, 1 January 2013

Roller coaster ride as Charlton beat Watford

The form book was torn up as Charlton beat Watford 4-3 at Vicarage Road this afternoon to go 15th in the Championship. But it was a roller coaster ride with the Hornets ahead twice in the game before the Addicks finally drew their sting.

Daniel Pudil's early strike put Watford ahead but Charlton hit back through Tommie Hoban's own goal and Yann Kermorgant's header. Ater Almen Abdi's penalty and Alexandre Geijo's goal put Watford back in front, Kermorgant tucked in another equaliser before skipper Johnnie Jackson scored the winning goal.

Charlton applied some pressure in the early exchanges, but the home side struck after 11 minutes when Geijo's low shot was well saved by Hamer but Pudil was on hand to steer in the rebound for his first goal for the club.

Jackson had the ball in the net soon afterwards but just picked up a yellow cardf for handball. The Addicks drew level in the 33rd minute when Jackson swung in a corner, Watford failed to clear and the ball eventually went in off Hornets defender Hoban. Three minutes later Charlton were ahead when Kermorgant powered a far-post header past Manuel Almunia from Bradley Pritchard's cross.

Watford started the second half strongly and Geijo teed up Fernando Forestieri, who was denied by the feet of Hamer. But the Addicks goalkeeper could do nothing to prevent Watford equalising in the 52nd minute after Dorian Dervite tripped Forestieri in the area and Abdi tucked away the penalty.

Hamer then tipped Geijo's shot over and Forestieri fired wide when he should have scored before Watford got their noses back in front in the 68th minute. Geijo ran on to a clever chip from Forestieri and clipped the ball past Hamer.

The lead lasted less than two minutes as Ricardo Fuller jinked his way down the right and crossed for Kermorgant to tuck away his second of the game. Jacko completed the turnaround when he headed in Dale Stephens' corner.

Substitute Vydra had an equaliser ruled out for offside and Hamer saved from Foriestieri as Charlton held out to take the points back to south London.

Possession was fifty-fifty but the Addicks had fifteen shots on target to Watford's nine and seven corners to their four.

No comments: