Tuesday, 6 August 2013

Convincing cup win for Addicks

The Charlton side for this evening’s league cup match against Oxford United was entirely changed from the one that started against Bournemouth apart from Hamer in goal. 4,935 were in attendance, nearly 800 from Oxford.

Danny Green took the first corner of the evening for Charlton, but it was punched away. Piggott put in a good long-range ball finding Church. Richard Wood had to deal with an Oxford attack. Evina and Cook combined well on the left, but they suffered from a tight offside decision. Oxford won a corner. The referee blew for a free kick.

Simon Church scored his first goal for the Addicks on 18 minutes to take the lead against Oxford. A Green effort from distance went over the bar. Oxford made a good run down the right and Hamer had to make the save. An effort from Fulham loan player Williams went wide. A free kick from Green went over the crossbar.

A good run from Cook set up a corner for Charlton, but Wood was unable to score from six yards out with Oxford defenders in his way.

HT: 1-0

Hollands headed the ball just over. Green took a free kick for Charlton through the wall to make it 2-0. Oxford won a corner which was taken short. Piggott did all the hard work, there was an open goal, but Church put it wide from six yards out. Church made no mistake when he got the opportunity to make it 3-0. Cort won Charlton a corner, but it was punched away. Oxford made two attacking substitutions.

Hamer made a good save off Williams. Cort did enough to block Potter at the expense of a corner. Cort stayed down, but may have been winded and got up. Church was taken off and replaced by Sordell. Cook received a yellow card for a foul on Hunt. Hamer punched away the free kick and fell awkwardly, hurting his right shoulder. Cook went down and needed some treatment. Cook was replaced by Harriott.

The Oxford fans claimed that Wood had used his hand and an Oxford player received a yellow card for dissent. The referee gave Hollands a yellow card for sliding in.

Sordell tried to make it 4-0, but it went wide after a deflection. The ball almost went in from the corner.

Five minutes were added on. Another Oxford player got a yellow for dissent. A Charlton corner was punched away, but the referee blew up anyway. Charlton were given a penalty. Piggott put it in the back of the net. Charlton were in the draw for the second round.

No comments: