Saturday, 18 January 2014

Addicks hover just above relegation zone

It was no surprise that an on form Middlesbrough beat Charlton at the Riverside today, but results around us did not go our way with Millwall, Doncaster, Barnsley and Yeovil all winning. As a result we are only separated from the relegation zone by goal difference.

A first half Emmanuel Ledesma goal on 19 minutes was enough for Middlesbrough to see off the Addicks. Ledesma's long-range effort squirmed under the body of Addicks keeper Yohann Thuram-Ulien, who was making his debut in the Charlton goal. Hamer was injured and Alnwick was also unavailable.

Charlton carved out the first chance in the second minute as Callum Harriott weaved in from the right and, although Boro man Dean Whitehead tackled him, he then played a poor square ball inside that was cut out by Athletic striker Yann Kermogant, who screwed his 18-yard effort well wide. Boro's first glimpse of goal came on seven minutes as forward Curtis Main had a poor pass cut out by defender Lawrie Wilson but then won it back in a tackle on the edge of the box before stabbing a low effort just wide. Charlton went close as Harriott picked out Jordan Cousins but his 20-yard effort on the turn flew straight at Shay Given.

Yann Kermorgant had the chance to fire his side ahead moments before the Boro goal, but failed to convert after some initial panic in the Boro boox. Thuram-Ulien did go some way to redeeming himself by pulling off two saves in succession, which kept the scoreline at 1-0.

Boro could have doubled their lead on 61 minutes as Carayol got to a knockdown but his shot to the far top corner was saved. Charlton thought they had scored on 70 minutes as Danny Green's deep cross looked to be drifting out and Kermogant hooked it back into the middle where Simon Church barged it home, but the referee ruled it out for a foul on keeper Given. Chris Powell is not happy about this decision.

Charlton also had a chance at the death to level the game, but failed to take the opportunity just moments after Rhoys Wiggins was shown a straight red card for a high-footed challenge. Kermogant cut in along the byline and drilled across the face of goal but an unmarked Church could not connect.

No comments: