Saturday 3 May 2014

Harriott hat trick brings season to close

A hat trick by Callum Harriott gave Charlton a 3-0 win over Blackpool this afternoon to finish 18th in the table ahead of Millwall. It's been a tough season, but the Addicks in Blackpool will now be able to party (as many of them were doing last night).

After Morrison surrendered possession, Blackpool had a break on but Dervite intervened. The Tangerines then put in a shot that was just wide. Poyet did very well to intercept as Blackpool had another chance. Charlton were under some pressure. Morrison had to put the ball out for a Blackpool corner. Dervite had to deal with it, but the pressure continued for a while. Another shot came in which Hamer had to tip over the bar. The ball went out for a goal kick from the corner.

Astrid wanted to shoot, but was closed down quickly and lost possession. Dervite dealt well with the counter attack. Another shot came in but was blocked by Dervite and the ball went through to Hamer. Fox dealt with an attempted cross.

Chants from the 1,500+ Charlton fans asserted that Poyet was better than his dad. A chorus of Valley Floyd Road followed.

Dervite put a good ball over the top, Sordell stretched but didn’t quite make contact. Sordell tried to chip the ball over the keeper but it went wide and then the referee gave a foul. Harriott did well as Blackpool threatened at the expense of a corner. Hamer dealt with the corner well.

Jackson advanced, but Blackpool were able to defend. The Tangerines threatened, but Dervite slowed them up and the move ended in a goal kick for Charlton. Morrison defended well as Blackpool advanced.

Dervite fired in a free kick, but it went wide. Harriott shot straight at the keeper after good work by Poyet and Fox. Wilson was brought down, but was accused of being a cheat by the home fans. Keown had a late chance, but put the ball over.

The half had been fairly even in terms of possession, but Blackpool had created the better chances.

HT 0-0

A snap shot from Sordell was turned round the post by the keeper. Blackpool won a free kick in a dangerous position on the edge of the penalty area. The ball went straight into the wall and back again. Astrid needed treatment after taking the ball in the midriff. After Harriott had his shirt pulled, the lino gave the decision to Blackpool for a free kick halfway inside the Charlton half.

Blackpool got very close, but Charlton survived. A good ball from Dervite reached Sordell who saw the run of Harriott who buried the ball in the right-hand corner of the net to make it 1-0 to Charlton.

Jordan Cousins, who had taken a knock, had to come off and Petrucci came on. Dervite got a foot in to prevent Blackpool scoring. Keown went off and Ricardo Fuller came on and clattered into Jacko.

Petrucci was pulled down by Cathcart. Wilson got past his man, but Harriott was unable to take advantage.

Pettrucci got a booking for a foul on Bishop. The ball from the free kick went over the bar. Astrid went off and the Charlton fans rose to applaud him. Obika replaced him.

Callum Harriott made it 2-0, starting with good work by Obika who provided it to Sordell and it went back to Obika and then to Harriott who got a yellow card for excessive celebration.

Charlton kept up the pressure, but the play was disrupted by another bizarre offside decision by the lino. Sordell went off to applause to be replaced by Piggott.

The Addickted started a chant of ‘To the Londoners 2-0’. Petrucci was showing some skill with some good touches. Five minutes were added on. Callum Harriott fired the ball with a left footed strike to make it 3-0 after Piggott picked him out.


Brian G said...

What a finish to the season! Only two weeks ago, Harriott and Sordell were being criticised in various quarters and yet in the end they played critical roles in keeping us up. JR showed remarkable patience with them and it paid off in the end. I do hope he stays. There were certainly a lot of us yesterday who hoped that he would. Looking forward to Carrow Road next season already. COYR!

Anonymous said...

Hello Wyn, I am wondering when we last had back to back away wins, scoring three in both, with two different players scoring hattricks? I wonder if this has ever happened before. A memorable end to a memorable season.

All the best

Martin Cowan