Friday, 26 December 2014

Harriott sent off

It was Etheridge in goal with Vetokele on the bench and Tucudean up front as Charlton faced Cardiff City at The Valley this afternoon. Gomez was playing at left back. Cardiff won an early corner. Ben Haim cleared and Charlton tried to break.

Cardiff took the lead after 11 minutes from a dead ball, Etheridge having no chance as the ball went into the far right-hand corner. Etheridge dived at the feet of Jones to deny him, but it was offside anyway.

Harriott put in a good cross, but the defender got to it and did not reach Tucudean. Ben Haim put in great work, but the ball was too far in front of Tucudean.

After 26 minutes good work by Harriott got Charlton their first corner.

Callum Harriott got the red card on 32 minutes. It was difficult to criticise the decision. It was frustration after a poor first touch.

Tucudean put in a shot from a tight angle after good work by Charlton on the right hand side and Marshall in the Cardiff goal had to make a good save. The Addicks were not able to make anything of the corner.

HT: Addicks 0, Bluebirds 1

Cardiff piled forward early in the second half as they tried to make the most of their numerical advantage, but Gunnarsson had his shot saved. The hosts responded as Johann Berg Gudmundsson won a corner when his effort was pushed behind, leaving Johnnie Jackson to hit the post from the resulting set piece. Kenwyne Jones and Noone continued to put the Charlton defence under pressure, but were unable to increase Cardiff's lead ahead of the hour mark. Igor Vetokele came off the bench despite carrying a knock to try to salvage a point for Charlton, and he forced a save after latching on to a rebound once Gudmundsson had been denied.

Adeyemi tried to put the result beyond doubt for the visitors, but the goal-scorer's finish from the middle of the box was straight at the keeper.

Charlton produced a spirited second-half display, with George Tucudean's back-heel hitting a post and Gudmundsson shooting against the woodwork. Tucudean's flick was then cleared off the line by Sean Morrison before Gudmundsson's stunning strike deservedly levelled with two minutes left. Charlton are 12th in the table.


Anonymous said...

And 1-1 feels like a win!
All you need is Passion Spirt and Desire.
"Funny Old Game"

Anonymous said...

I can't remeber seeing such a questionable refereeing display, did Tan or didn't Tan?

Geoff said...

With you, Anon 0207. If Reg the Rescue Cat was still contributing he'd have needed to make it something like Quintuple Hiss of the Match. He should have sent himself off.

Anonymous said...

we should have a clear out come jan sell harriott,church and wilson