Saturday 23 May 2020

Why Charlton declined in the 1950s

The fanzine of my non-league club, Leamington, asked me to write something about Charlton so here it is: https://windmillwonderlandfanzine.wordpress.com/2020/05/08/the-blame-game/?fbclid=IwAR1jKeS6j0gpCnbeF9CiIPx5X_0xb2y_GwY15j84F5jC4Hh-3syljAD83Is

I am, of course, something of an oddity at the Brakes as the only Charlton fan.   Having only lived in Leamington since 1974, I do not qualify as a 'townsman'.

Some of the material in this article has appeared in Voice of the Valley.

The article in the fanzine on goalkeeper Tony Breeden is rather long, but in my mind he rivals Sam Bartram as an eccentric genius, albeit at a lower level.   He is the only keeper I have ever seen score from a free kick in his penalty area or score a penalty against Wolves at Molineux.

No comments: