Wednesday 10 June 2020

Charlton rubber ball bounces on

Tahnoon Nimer has confirmed on Instagram that he has ceded control of Charlton, or at least his 65 per cent share, to a consortium led by Manchester-based businessman Paul Elliott.

The normal convention when someone departs with a mixed record is to use the words of the newsreels when Churchill replaced Chamberlain as prime minister: 'Thanks Mr Chamberlain for all you tried to do.'  Chamberlain was subsequently castigated as one of the 'guilty men'.  

I regret that I cannot make a comment about Mr Nimer that would be acceptable in a blog read by children.  The best I can do is say 'I thank yew' in the manner of the classic comedian Arthur Askey.

The new owners may well take a profit by selling on to someone else.   Charlton remind me of a song from my childhood about a bouncy rubber ball as they go from one owner to the next: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5jrqe8ryJ8

No comments: